XDeep Black or Shearwater Petrel 2??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

306dive306

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy, everyone!

I have a Suunto D4 and a Sherwood Insight computers but since I decided to take TDI's advanced nitrox, deco procedures, trimix and advanced trimix I will need a deco computer.

I've read a post about Shearwater "versus" OSTC and it basically came down to the fact that Shearwater is Canadian and it's a lot easier to get service in North America (I'm in Canada).

When it comes to XDeep Black "versus" Shearwater Petrel 2, do they have comparable in features, reliability, and quality? Do you guys think it's (again) a matter of Shearwater being Canadian and, thus, easier to have the computer serviced?

I think the fact that the Shearwater uses a user replaceable AAA battery is absolutely phenomenal. Do any of you guys see reasons why I should go XDeep?

I thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers!

Xdeep is cheaper.

Shearwaters better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooh. Different situation in the UK. But fair play.

Buy the petrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shearwater service is excellent.
The products are very good quality. Also the supply line is very short in North America and this makes a very quick turnaround time for service with shipping. I'd value the Shearwater product in Canada at 2:1 overall.

I have not seen any real positives on the xdeep stuff over the course of time and would not include it to my selection.

Petrel hands down!

a big THANK YOU to all of you who responded.

If possible, let's keep this thread "alive" since I'd like to get more opinions.

Cheers!

I have a Suunto D4 and a Sherwood Insight computers but since I decided to take TDI's advanced nitrox, deco procedures, trimix and advanced trimix I will need a deco computer.
No you don't need a computer to dive trimix.
Two bottom times + suitable software + slate will do.

I have both and like them both. Each has good points.

I like the smaller form factor of the XDeep. And I like the display better too. The visual alarms are hard to miss. I usually have to charge it once during a 10 day cave trip. And since there is no battery door to remove, I never ever have to worry about flooding the computer. Saying that, I still love my Petrel. I usually go through a battery per dive trip. That it takes a battery that you'll be able to find just about anywhere in the world means I don't have to worry about bringing along charging cables. And I can download the log to my laptop with bluetooth. Very convenient!

Using the same gradient factors, the XDeep gives me slightly more deco. Both are easy to make gas switches with. I'm not sure if this helps, but while I trust my Petrel more, I find that I look at my XDeep more often. And yes, we cut tables on the iPhone for dive planning. But these things keep me on track and are fantastic for my aging eyes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom