Suunto Zoop question ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ... Can Suunto Zoop computer be turned to work as a simple bottom timer/depth gauge? The manual says that is has only air and nitrox modes. Can anyone please tell me how to turn it into a bottom timer? Thanks.

Suunto may remove this from their sub-forum, but here‘s a go ...

Yes, you can. You have to ‘bend‘ it. Put the computer into deco then surface it without clearing. It‘ll ‘lock you out‘ ie. provide no NDL, track O2, give SS time, etc. It WILL continue to give you depth, time (in whole mins.), and ascent rate violation warning.

* * note * * Best not to attach a diver to it who IS doing what the comp THINKS he is doing.
1) Wear it on the first dive of a series of tech dives. It thinks you use your backgas your entire time, yet here you‘re switching to 50% and 100%. Complete your dive following YOUR deco schedule and listen to it bitch and moan from 3m to surface. Once out of the water it‘ll shut up.

Or for more fun
2) Deposit it on the bottom. Finish up your dive and enjoy your surface interval. Return to it a few hours later, attach it to an SMB, and send it crying to the surface!

It‘ll remain in error mode for 48 hours, and this clock will restart after each subsequent dive. I‘ve used my Gekko as a backup in this mode for two whole weeks.

Yes, you can. You have to ‘bend‘ it. Put the computer into deco then surface it without clearing. It‘ll ‘lock you out‘ ie. provide no NDL, track O2, give SS time, etc. It WILL continue to give you depth, time (in whole mins.), and ascent rate violation warning.

* * note * * Best not to attach a diver to it who IS doing what the comp THINKS he is doing.
1) Wear it on the first dive of a series of tech dives. It thinks you use your backgas your entire time, yet here you‘re switching to 50% and 100%. Complete your dive following YOUR deco schedule and listen to it bitch and moan from 3m to surface. Once out of the water it‘ll shut up.

Or for more fun
2) Deposit it on the bottom. Finish up your dive and enjoy your surface interval. Return to it a few hours later, attach it to an SMB, and send it crying to the surface!

It‘ll remain in error mode for 48 hours, and this clock will restart after each subsequent dive. I‘ve used my Gekko as a backup in this mode for two whole weeks.
Hahha I like the part crying, bitching part. [emoji14]

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

nope, and that is the number 1 reason that I try to tell people to avoid them. As a single gas nitrox computer with no gauge mode, if you go anywhere past basic recreational diving, it becomes a paperweight.

I read on this forum that you can "bend" it and put it in error mode which then basically makes it a bottom timer for 48hr.
From the manual, it looks like it does this if you do a deco dive and then ignore the ascent schedule it gives you (this would only work if your calculated deco schedule is shorter than what the Zoop wants you to do).

I used to own a Zoop but was stolen and have never tried the "bending" method .

If the gauge mode resets itself after 48 hours, you are better off getting a D4i (you can "bend" it whilst diving in Free Dive mode for more than 10 minutes). This saves you the hassle to try "bend" your Zoop on the first dive of each of your dive trip.

I actually typed "bend it" and almost hit the post button yesterday. I figured Suunto probably wouldn't want that info in their forum so I withheld. However, it does work.

Or for more fun

Learnt something new about Zoop!! My Uwatec will just lock solid for 24hrs.
Thank you.

Patrickwk,

Pardon my ignorance but what is the point of pre-bending the Zoop? Why would you not just dive it like normal until it bends itself. Unless you had some super technical and complicated dive coming up where really don't want the distractions, I don't see the point. Let it give you deco info like normal and ignore it.

Captain Sinbad,

FYI the new ZOOP NOVOs should be out soon and they are supposed to have gauge mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom