New diver regs and BP/W setup!!!! Looking for advice and recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

babycover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greeting all fellow divers, i am on my way to get my first set of gear. I got 1 of the shop gave me a quote for a package of BP/W and regs. Could you all please drop some comends/suggestion/criticism for my final setup. That would be greatly appriciated. Thank you very much
image.jpg

I recently got a similar setup, and obtained matching classic 2nd stages. I'm not sure the Zenith offers any real advantages to the diver, if it did, I'd get two.

Does the HOG backplate require a single tank adapter? For many backplates the adapter just provides a somewhat faster way to switch from doubles to singles.

All listed are all good choices . As for the adapter it give more stability to the tank and adds 1lb of weight. I would say that if you get the din keep in mind if you do a lot of diving / travel . there are a lot of Charters and shops that only have the yoke style ,so that could be a problem but if you plan on diving more were they supply dim go with the din . I have a din first stage that I dive most of the time and I have a yoke first stage that I can quickly change to if I have to rent/use yoke . Good luck and enjoy your new gear

My only critique would be the low pressure hoses. How are you routing the 28" hose without looking like the alien character from the Predator movies? In other words, ending up with it creating a big loop projecting off your face to your first stage. I'm assuming the black hose is for your primary and the yellow hose is for your octo clipped off somewhere on a harness d ring.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to consider the streamlined open water configuration. 20-22" octo over your shoulder on a necklace. With your primary on a 36-40" hose under your arm with a 90 degree elbow. It's a real clean and tight setup. In an out of air situation you donate your primary and your octo is just a couple inches from your mouth. Looks like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 300
what was said above, I wouldn't go for those reg hoses. You'll want an angle adapter with the primary/40" hose and a 20-22" on the secondary. HP hose should be between 20 and 24" depending on where you want to put it. I put mine up on the shoulder so I can get away with a bit shorter, but 24" is standard. I would also go for matching Zenith second stages instead of one zenith and one classic.

For australian prices that isn't that bad, about $900 US at todays exchange rate. You can do better in the states, but you guys have pretty high prices. I might contact IDC Scuba and see what their Dive Rite packages are looking like right now and also contact some of the hog dealers over here to see what they can do to ship over since they send quite a bit of stuff to Australia. Jim Lapenta is on the board and might be able to beat that price with shipping over there.

thank you for the advice guys. hose length is the thing I definitely consider it. i haven't decided yet, still trying over a few set up. however the shop did say i can return the hose and get a more suitable one if i want to, after purchase.
i did talk with Jim as well and he did give me a quote, but do turn out more expensive then this cause the AUD is falling at the moment. This quote is quite cheap even compare with all the quote i received within Australia.

I hate to wear something on my neck when diving, may be the shoulder would be a better place.

necklace/suicide strap is infinitely better than any other secondary regulator placement. I promise you that. you barely notice the suicide strap when it's on but it makes all the difference in the world if you have to use it. I would highly urge you to go with either a standard GUE type setup with a 7' long hose, or stick with the 40" but get a 90* adapter or ball swivel for the primary. I actually use them on both hoses because it makes it a bit easier to look left in doubles, but you don't need it with singles.

You won't notice the necklace, you will KNOW exactly where your octo is. Look at some YouTube videos. A common thing you see is diver's octos just dangling off the first stage. This presents a few possible problems.

1) The most obvious, Where's my octo? "Damn, we have an OOA situation and now I need to spend time looking for it." Viz isn't always great on every dive.

2) When it came loose, I drug it through the sand and now its function is compromised.

3) The octo is loose or further down on your body and you don't notice it's free flowing. You should quickly realize a free flowing reg under your chin.

On a necklace keeps it secure and always where it should be... Next to your mouth. *My opinion of course.

Last edited:
I would not get an STA. At least, I would try the rig first without one and get one later, if I decided I wanted one.

I had "regular" cam bands for 7 or 8 months of diving. I thought they were a pain in the butt every time I had to change tanks while out on a pitching boat. Especially with galvanized tanks, where the straps don't slide very easily. Then I tried some Highland Quick Release tank straps and did not like them at all. Then I got some ScubaPro-style Quick Release tank straps and LOVE them.

Dive Gear Express will ship anywhere.

They have the SP-style tank straps for USD$20 each here:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/tank-strap-quick-release-with-s-s-hinge-buckle

I have these exact straps now and I cannot imagine myself ever going back to the cam band style tank straps.

And, if you decide you really do want an STA, they have one for USD$25 here:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-premium-single-tank-adapter

I have never used an STA. I have never had any issue with my single tank rig where I thought having an STA would be nice. And the idea of moving the tank a little further away from my center of gravity does not appeal to me.

Oh, and lastly, if you're buying DIN regs, you might want to have a DIN-to-yoke adapter in your dive kit, for "just in case". And, conveniently, DGX has them for USD$20 here:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-din-to-yoke-spin-on-adapter

Sorry if I sound like a shill for DGX. I have no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer. They have good products for good prices and GREAT customer service.

Check your email. Quote sent. However that is a very good deal. They are taking great care of you. Personally, I'd take that over mine once you figure in the exchange rate and shipping. I don't know what the MAP is for Australia but that kind of quote, they might not necessarily like you to share publicly on a forum like this.

Back
Top Bottom