Most "reliable" regulator first and second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm another fan of Sherwood. I picked up a Sherwood Blizzard in 2009 and my 1980 Magnum was retired to my pony due to it's reliability to me, personally, over the years. The dry bleed system environmentally seals the reg without using grease so an exterior rinse is all the first stage needs. As for the second stages, I have a lot of Sherwood's around and they work fine, but I prefer a metal reg so I use the old metal ScubaPro, US Divers, and/or Dacor depending.

Using the old metal seconds isn't really getting away from Sherwood, as they produced most of parts and many of the regulators from the '50's well into the '70's, around the time they started producing their own regs.

Bob

Don't forget the conshelf xiv supreme..... I can't help myself... I also have a mk2/109 on a pony...:wink:

Jim...

The Scubapro unbalanced piston first stages, at least anything newer than the late production Mk 3, are all pretty much equally reliable.

The Mk 3, Mk 200 and Mk 2 are essentially the same design with minor differences in piston diameter and 3 versus 4 LP ports.

The design is dirt simple as there is no high pressure downstream of the high pressure seat, and thus there are no dynamic O-rings exposed to high pressure gas. There are also only 2 dynamic O-rings in the first stage - the piston stem o-ring and the piston head o-ring. There is also only one moving part - the piston.

If I were stranded on a deserted island with an unlimited supply of scuba cylinders and no regulator parts, it would be the regulator I'd want to have.

In terms of the second stage, the older chrome plated brass cases, Scubapro "High Performance" second stage is probably the most bullet proof second stage ever made, and it was a very nice breathing second stage. The current R190/R390 second stage annual service kits cover them as well so annual service isn't an issue and the cases themselves will basically last forever. Exhaust Tees and purge covers are no longer made, but they can still be found new old stock in shops that have been long standing Scubapro dealers, and there are third party runs of replacement rubber parts made now and then.

Failing, that any of the plastic cases R190, R380, R390, R295, R395 second are good choices, using the same simple valve design.

-----

Now...if you were talking the ultimate in reliable regulators for your primary tank, I'd recommend the Phoenix Royal Aquamaster as both the first and second stages are sealed and the design will go for a decade without requiring any significant service other than a proper rinse.

I use a Scubapro Mk5 / -109 (converted to balanced) as my "pony" regulator. A Mk2/R190 would be a great choice, as would a Conshelf... lots of good, basic, workhorse regs out there.

My feeling is simple and "bomb-proof" is the main criteria for a "pony" regulator. A lot of regs will meet that criteria, either piston or diaphragm. For my money a "pony" regulator with fewer "bells and whistles" is better.

Best wishes.

+1 for Brut's [the AK of regs] I have them as well as MK2. Currently using older Aquarius reg set for my bailout. As Bob pointed out, I like the metal 2nd stages in this role [octo too] as well as a basic design 1st. I have found that the older 2nd stage Sherwoods plastic cracks pretty easy. Not a plastics guy, but the older ones remind me of bakelite, while I believe the newer ones are ABS.

Now...if you were talking the ultimate in reliable regulators for your primary tank, I'd recommend the Phoenix Royal Aquamaster as both the first and second stages are sealed and the design will go for a decade without requiring any significant service other than a proper rinse.

a touch bulky on a pony, and then there is that whole DSV (or some form of a plug) need since it isn't in your mouth.... :D

DA - do you really feel the 108hp is better than the 109/156? I like that I can also crank the adjustment on it to keep it stable, yet back it off when i need it....

I just put together a minimalist regulator for my new pony bottle. I converted an old MK5 to MK1 with a 200 BAR DIN connector (thanks axxel57). I like the low profile and the fact that the MK5 has seen decades of reliable service. Finding the parts for this regulator makes it not a practical option for most, but it would be pretty easy to put together a MK9 DIN that would be almost as compact.

IMG_5168.JPG

I just put together a minimalist regulator for my new pony bottle. I converted an old MK5 to MK1 with a 200 BAR DIN connector (thanks axxel57). I like the low profile and the fact that the MK5 has seen decades of reliable service. Finding the parts for this regulator makes it not a practical option for most, but it would be pretty easy to put together a MK9 DIN that would be almost as compact.

View attachment 221238

that's pretty cool. Put it on a "rebreather valve" and it gets real compact.....

Thanks for all of your advice everyone, at first I was leaning towards the sherwood Brut, but after reading everyone's response I decided to go with the SP Mk2/R195 combo.

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom