Boat Entry Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I dive a SMS 75...Is it okay to do a normal giant stride or is that dangerous at all...

I regularly dive off two different boats with an SMS75 and steel tanks. One boat has no swim platform so there is a 'long leap' from the deck into the water. The other has a swim platform at water surface with a walk through transom. I do a giant stride from either and there are no problems so far. I have not used aluminums; so, I don't know if there would be a significant difference. I am a pretty old guy. I have proven to myself that I can still climb the ladders with two tanks if needed, but I prefer to make things easy and hang my right tank on a line before coming up the ladder.

I tend to dive hard boats, usually with 2 x 12L Sidemount and an Ali80 Stage.... (was using Xdeep Stealth, now using Apeks WSX25) in the English Channel, there is no option for kitting up in the water, so all kit is donned on the boat, waddle down to the diver lift, and Giant Stride off the back.... getting back onboard is usually a diver lift, so no real effort other than shuffling down the boat when the diver lift has brought you back up.

I haven't found it a problem at all....

A nice trick hard in backmount and easy in sidemount is attaching the tanks on the boat but carrying the fins in the hand while jumping in.

Not me, I like fins on my feet when jumping off a boat. I also have tanks clipped on when jumping in, deco tanks on a hang line.

There are two logistical factors effecting your option for boat entries... IF the crew can pass down your cylinders and WHETHER they care to do so...

Then there are environmental factors... like the water conditions: waves and currents.

Personally, I much prefer to don my cylinders in-water wherever possible. Logistically, that's not a problem here in the Philippines, as virtually all the boats are small and close to the water-line. The other consideration is if a strong current or high waves would make surface donning of cylinders problematic or unsafe.

There are no issues with doing a giant stride entry from a boat - but do ensure a hard-point of attachment for the cylinders. Use a choker to clip the cylinder to the D-ring.

The choker method I use is to put a simple loop of 440 cord around the neck of each primary cylinder. If/when I want to make a hard attachment, I simply grab a double-ender from my pouch and join the choker to the D-ring. This method also allows an immediate and effective response to a failed bungee cord during the dive. It does not leave the hard point throughout the dive (less clutter and does not impede you moving the cylinder positions) and does not dangle annoyingly once disconnected.

A nice trick hard in backmount and easy in sidemount is attaching the tanks on the boat but carrying the fins in the hand while jumping in.

I wouldn't advise any diver to enter the water WITHOUT fins, mask and regulator in place. Should the unforeseen occur, they are prepared to respond to it.

Having fished an "experienced" diver out of the water for getting in difficulty because he had no fins/mask/reg in place after a giant stride (but had a BCD issue on hitting the water).... it'd save you a lot of egg-on-face.... or possibly worse.

It's a really bad idea to jump in not wearing your fins.
Why???
I never needed them in normal conditions and have stopped putting them on on boats or elevated shoreline and platforms high enough to use a giant stride entry.
In difficult conditions I prefer a negative entry, don't need them for that either and prefer to put them on later if conditions allow.

Strapping fins on while on a shaking boat can also be a dangerous effort with tanks already attached.

Especially when you're wearing weights.
Sidemount divers are neutrally buoyant or close to that.
If someone is not or does not know, he should never jump of anything.

Why???
I never needed them in normal conditions and have stopped putting them on on boats or elevated shoreline and platforms high enough to use a giant stride entry.
In difficult conditions I prefer a negative entry, don't need them for that either and prefer to put them on later if conditions allow.
Current, for instance. Some situations will definitely not allow you to put your fins on during descent.
Strapping fins on while on a shaking boat can also be a dangerous effort with tanks already attached.
That's why you can sit down to do it...

Sidemount divers are neutrally buoyant or close to that.
If someone is not or does not know, he should never jump of anything.
Neutral without tanks, yeah. Neutral with close to 8-9kg of gas, not so much.

@Razorista
You're kidding, right? What you're writing is complete nonsens.
SM diver are NOT more or less neutrally buoyant than BM divers, for obvious reasons.
Jumping off a boat without fins and no tanks while wearing weights is just stupid.
You should really do an OWD course again, you don't even understand the very basics. On the other hand, you're probably just trolling, you gotta be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom