Hissing sound when valve is open (I changed the o-ring already)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does sound like it's coming from that side. I'm going to have to find a hex key big enough to remove it and check that too.

That hex key is a critical piece of your dive kit. Get one and keep it with you. I'll bet it's the DIN o-ring on the back more than the stem or bonnet nut rings.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Bathtub. Put a towel in the bottom of the tub to protect it, first. Then lay the tank on it. Fill with water and be sure.

Plan to rebuild the valve next inspection.

I have a pool in the back yard so I don't have to go through that hassle.

Finding out where the leak is, is always the first step in fixing it.

Bob
----------------

That hex key is a critical piece of your dive kit. Get one and keep it with you. I'll bet it's the DIN o-ring on the back more than the stem or bonnet nut rings.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I went through my toolbox and found the hex key. I may need a bigger dry case to fit all the hex keys and wrenches I need to bring with me! So I took the adapter out, and the o-ring looks okay, a little flat though. but I don't know how deep the cavity the o-ring sits in, is. Looks like there's some yellow lubricant that was used on the threads, but from a quick google search, this is normal? I'll be going to the dive shop probably on Friday so I'll bring that tank with me and have them fit a new o-ring.

I have a pool in the back yard so I don't have to go through that hassle.

Finding out where the leak is, is always the first step in fixing it.

Bob
----------------

That's a good idea, I have a pool in my backyard but it gets dark here around 5:30 this time of year. Honestly I was pretty surprised after replacing the 014 o-ring that it kept leaking. I was almost positive it was that regulator until I went and grabbed my main regulator and put it on that tank.

Soapy water is your friend when looking for leaks.

That's a good idea, I have a pool in my backyard but it gets dark here around 5:30 this time of year.

You don't have a flashlight? Put the tank in the pool.

I bet a good set of ear plugs would make that hissing sound go away.

It s usually best to define a problem before you try to solve it. In this case, that is called troubleshooting.

fill a garbage can with water, immerse rig... locate leak... then implement remedial action steps...

I bet a good set of ear plugs would make that hissing sound go away.

It s usually best to define a problem before you try to solve it. In this case, that is called troubleshooting.
I did define a problem; air was leaving the tank in a method that was not preferable! I did troubleshoot, I changed the o-ring that's commonly the problem, and that didn't correct it, so I went on here to look for an answer.

Anyway, I went to a LDS and they changed that o-ring for me and tested it under water and it wasn't leaking. Of course another issue was discovered that there is an extremely, extremely, extremely slow leak coming from between the tank and valve. A little soap and water confirms, so that o-ring needs to be changed when I get it VIP'd this month. Hopefully that's only the problem here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom