Big foot fin options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update: As part of a Black Friday gear purchase, I picked up a pair of 2 XL Turtle Fins from Scuba Toys, with spring straps. Now, remember that my original issue is that my old Atomic Aquatics XL Smoke on the Water split fins were too tight when worn with my new SeaSoft Stealth 6 mm boots. Made my feet hurt.

2 XL Turtle Fins vs. XL Smoke on the Water splits.

thumb_IMG_0003_1024.jpg

This is what the Smokes look like on my feet (I normally wear a size 15 EE shoe):

thumb_IMG_0012_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_0013_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_0014_1024.jpg

Okay, here's now the new '2 XL' Turtle Fin (left) foot pocket compares to the XL Smoke (right). Not looking good...

thumb_IMG_0004_1024.jpg

Some measurements of foot pocket (TF on left, Smoke on right, neither vertical is true height, but rather top to bottom measured diagonally, but you can still get some idea of how it compares).

TF - ~ 3 1/2 inches top to bottom, diagonal, roughly 4 1/2 inches across? Looks like the Smoke is tad less wide, but a good deal taller.

thumb_IMG_0005_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_0006_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_0007_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_0008_1024.jpg

So, how's the 2 XL Turtle Fin look on my foot?

thumb_IMG_0009_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0010_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0011_1024.jpg

Also, I new the Turtle Fins would be heavy, but wow! Smokes are, judging from an answer in the listing at Scuba.com, weight 4.4 lbs. OMS Slipstreams are roughly neutral, but the Turtles, Jets & Hollis F1s are heavy! I believe I saw a 7.5 lbs. figure for one pair of fins.

At TheDiveForum.com, Wilbo (with a familiar smoking chimp avatar) has a thread on The "What size should I buy?" thread - fins, from 2013, pertaining to fitting dry suit boots. It'll give us some comparisons. Some notes from him:

• Hollis F1 Size XL fits DUI Rockboot US 11 (UK 10)
  • Hollis F1 Size XL fits 8/9 and 9/10 O-Three boots (msf500tb drysuit)
  • Hollis F1 Extra Large = Dry sock/size 11 converse
  • Hollis F1 Size 'Regular' fits size 8 O'Three Drysuit boot (with no spring adjustment)
  • Hollis F2 Size 'Medium/Large' fits size 8 O'Three Drysuit boot (with one adjustment to tighten the springs)
  • Hollis F2 regular - Scubapro M size booties with both sides on the furthest pin ie longest length

• OMS Slipstream XL fits DiveRite Size 9 (US size), does not fit Othree neo boots Size 9 (UK)
  • OMS Slipstream XL with Hollis L springs - O Three size 7
  • OMS Slipstream XXL fit size 11 standard otter boots
  • OMS Slipstreams XXL fits size 9 Othree boots

• OMS slipstreams size XXL = Otter rock boots Size 8 UK

• Scubapro JetFin XL fits size 7 O'Three boots
  • Scubapro XL fits DUI size 10 Turbo soles and wetboots (personally I found them a little 'tight' on turbosoles - Wilbo)
  • Scubapro XL fits DUI size 9 (US) rock boots
  • Scubapro XL fits size 6 standard Otter boots
  • Scubapro XL will fit Size 10 O3 boots but it's so bloody tight it is better to go for turtles
  • Scubapro XXL Jetfins will fit 11 O'Three standard drysuit boots

• Turtles XXL fits Seaskin size 8 neo boots
  • Turtles XXL fits DUI turbo sole US size 10.5 - 11.5. (UK 9.5-10.5) (ScubaPro XL too small. Turtles XXXL massive.)
  • Turtles XXL does not fit size 9 Othree boots
  • Turtles XXXL (the biggest) with halcyon fin straps in size L fits DUI rockboots size 14
  • Turtles XXXL (the largest) fits OThree OTB size 11 (UK)
  • Turtles XXXL (the largest) fits Othree Neo boots size 10
  • Turtles XXXL (the largest) fits Protec slimline boots size 10 (though a bit 'roomy'..)
  • Turtles XXXL fits Seaskin size 10 neo boots
  • Turtles XXXL fits size 9 Othree boots
  • Turtles XXXL (the largest) fits size 12 standard Otter boots.

He measures the foot pocket opening of the Turtle 2 XL as just over 85 mm x around 95 mm, & of the Turtle 3 XL as around 80 mm (so it's shorter?!?!?) x 130 mm. He's got some photo comparison shots. TimmyG's post #2 comparison pic is really interesting.

DiveGearExpress has some foot pocket dimensions on OMS Slipstreams, but not the others. From their webpage on Slipstreams:

Fin SizeLength
(Toe to Top)
Width
(Opening)
Height
(Opening)
OMS Drysuit
SuperFlexBoot Size
DUI
RockBoot Size
Large{8.75 in | 22.2 cm}{3.5 in | 8.9 cm}{3 in | 7.6 cm }SM-LGN/A
X Large{9 in | 22.9 cm}{4 in | 10.2 cm}{3.25 in | 8.3 cm}LG-XXL4-9
XX Large{9.25 in | 23.5 cm}{4.75 in | 12.1 cm}{3.5 in | 8.9 cm}XXL-3XL10-12

An old ScubaBoard thread Fins: OMS Slipstreams vs. Jets has a post by NWGratefulDiver; part of it states:

Michael
I've owned Jets, Turtles, Slipstreams and F1's ... I currently dive the F1's almost exclusively ... primarily because of the foot pockets.

The Slipstreams compare most closely to the Jets ... they're slightly stiffer and about half the weight. My biggest complaint with both is the foot pocket, which is more appropriate to a 2x6 than a human foot. And their sizes are just downright strange ... particularly for folks who wear drysuits. I think DIR went with Turbosoles mainly so they could fit into the little girlie foot pocket that both Jets and Slipstreams refer to as "XL" ... and if you go up one size to the XXL, you'd better have feet like an NBA basketball player.

Turtles used to be the alternative for folks in drysuits with normal size feet ... but their XXXL, which is all they came in before XS Scuba started producing them, is very wide. The Turtles are noticeably softer than either the Jets or Slipstreams, and although I generally like the fins they don't give you the "snap" on a good strong kick that you'll get with either of the other two.

F1's are my preferred fin because they give you both the desired performance and a foot pocket that's actually designed for normal people. I can wear this fin all day without discomfort ... and it gives you all the performance you'd ever want for both power and finesse kicking. The only downside to the F1's is that they're bloody heavy.

So for local diving I use the F1's exclusively. For travel, I have the Slipstreams ... which do work quite OK in a wetsuit bootie. I kept the Turtles around as loaners ... and I sold the Jets.

and in a later post:

I do like the stiffness of the Slipstream ... but for goodness sakes, couldn't they design the things to better accommodate a human foot?

50Fathom added:

The Slipstreams compare most closely to the Jets ... they're slightly stiffer and about half the weight. My biggest complaint with both is the foot pocket, which is more appropriate to a 2x6 than a human foot. And their sizes are just downright strange ... particularly for folks who wear drysuits. I think DIR went with Turbosoles mainly so they could fit into the little girlie foot pocket that both Jets and Slipstreams refer to as "XL" ... and if you go up one size to the XXL, you'd better have feet like an NBA basketball player.

Scubapro introduced the "New XXL" Jet last year and it nicely fills the gap between the XL and the old XXL, which is now the XXXL, (and I agree, you could fit a cantaloupe in the foot pocket). The new XXL fits my diminutive size-8-rockbooted-feet like it was made for me. One of my size-10/11 teammates tried it, since he was jamming his foot into a set of XL Jets when dry and was immediately sold. He had those "tweener" feet that wouldn't fit the old XL and the old XXL was ridiculous.

It's my understanding product may change over time, and some threads I turned up where several years old. See that mention of ScubaPro introducing 'the new XXL Jet?'

Old OMS Slipstream fins vs. Scubapro Jetfins thread from '07 on ScubaToys forum, CompuDude noted:

XL Jets and XL SlipStreams are nearly identical. The foot pocket on the SlipStreams is a smidge bigger... but a tiny smidge. Essentially the same fin, except one is heavy rubber that will last forever, and one is a lighter weight thermoplastic that may or may not last a long time (no long term tests to show yet, but they seem pretty rugged).

The foot pocket of XXL Slipstreams are not as large as XXL Jets (which are more like XXXXXL!). The downside is, if the XXL SlipStreams aren't big enough for you, you're SOL for SlipStreams, because there is no larger size.

In the water, the SlipStreams are a bit stiffer and I feel they provide a smidge less feedback as a result, but they are still very nice, and otherwise perform identically to Jetfins. If you like the extra weight on your feet from Jets (to avoid floaty feet in a drysuit, for instance, without needing the crutch of ankle weights), you may find your feet a bit too light with the SlipStreams. Conversely, if your feet are too heavy with Jets, the lighter SlipStreams may be a good option.

and

XL Jets and XL Slipstreams are nearly identically sized.

XXL Jets are friggin ginormous. Turtles are the in-between size.

I don't have Turtles, but I can tell you that XXL Slipstreams are about what you expect (incorrectly) XXL Jets to be sized... simply the next size up. So I'm guessing they're about the same size as Turtles.

The bad news, of course, is if you have really large feet and Turtles are too small, there is nothing analogous to the XXL Jets in a Slipstream fin, and you're SOL.

I've got an e-mail in to ScubaToys to find out about returning the Turtle Fins with spring straps, and to get some input as to my options. I don't think they carry the OMS Slipstream anymore, and I don't know if one would fit my foot or not.

I can't wrap my head around all this right now. Maybe tomorrow I can come back & re-read my own post & pull it together. Sheesh.

Richard.

P.S.: Gotta wonder if for cold water boat diving I ought to just bite the bullet & buy some thin-soled 7 mm 'booties.' But would the 2 XL Turtles work then? At least the Smokes were comfortable enough diving 3 mm SeaSoft Sundays; maybe 7 mm booties would put me back in splits.

Last edited:
I wear size 15 but my feet are more narrow than yours, still finding fins is a royal pain. I dive dry in cold water most of the time, XL Seawings work well with my pinicle boots but I modified them by grinding some of the wrap around sole to narrow them a bit so I can more easily remove them after a dive. I have been able to switch between dry suit boots and 2 mil booties with no issue, in fact I only notice the difference when pulling them off. Aries/oceanic accels also switch easily from cold to warm but with thin booties they hurt my toes after an hour or so, not bad but I've thought about trying spring straps rather than the silicone ones. I haven't tried it (I have thought about it) but there may be a chance of remold int monopreen find by heating the foot pocket and putting them on with the boots of choice.

Update #2: Dug out an old pair of size 15 Mares 'booties' (can't find thickness listed on them; I'd guess 3 mm?). I can wear the 2xl xsScuba Turtle Fins with them (they come a good deal further up on my foot), but they feel a bit snug on the sides of my foot, and I'd need 7 mm boots/booties/whatever for California waters, which is what I ordered these to dive. Bottom line: they'd be too tight.

thumb_IMG_0015_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0016_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0017_1024.jpg

I'm posting for the benefit of other 'Bigfoot' divers who might consider the product. For comparison, my 'land shoes' are New Balance shoes, and size 15 EE fits nicely.

I heard back from ScubaToys:

I will do some research and let you know

Haven't heard anymore as yet.

Since I'm not a dry suit diver, and often don't even dive a wetsuit (or use a 3 mm shorty), the OMS Slipstreams are the logical (not heavy) choice, but would they fit. From some of the info. I quoted from others in the prior post:

If Wilbo's measurements were accurate on the Turtle Fin foot pockets, the 3xl is slightly shorter than the 2xl, and the 2xl is too short (vertically) for me. Who thinks the foot pocket opening size on these Turtle Fins rates a 2xl listing?

NWGratefulDiver mentioned:

My foot isn't that thin. So the question is, would a 2xl Slipstream fit me? Or am I stuck with the unwanted heaviness of 3xl Jets or F1s?

Richard.

Note: Ongoing detail provided for my 'Bigfoot' brethren who may use this thread for reference in the future. My land shoes are New Balance walking shoes, size 15 EE, if that's helpful.

Update #2:

12-10-15 Got a reply from ScubaToys:

I will do some research and let you know

Awaiting word.

Donned an old size 15 Mares 'bootie,' thickness unknown but I'd guess 3 mm, 5 mm at most. With the 2xl Turtle Fin, it fins, albeit it's a bit snug across the widest part of my foot, just before the toes. Yet the Smoke on the Water fin is not snug there, despite having a narrower foot pocket opening. The Smoke pockets look thinner & more flexible.

thumb_IMG_0015_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0016_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0017_1024.jpg

As I dive without a wetsuit or with a 3 mm shorty most of the time, & even for a planned California trip have no interest in a dry suit, the weight of F1s in particular, from what I hear, but also Jets & Turtle Fins, wouldn't be optimal. OMS Slipstreams sound like the ticket, but only run up to 2xl. To review some info. from others in the previous post:

Wilbo:

Sounds good.

NWGratefulDiver:

I suspect a big issue with me is whether the foot pocket is tall enough; that's a problem with the 2xl Turtle Fins!

For OMS Slipstream fins:

Dive Gear Express Length Width Height

XX Large{9.25 in | 23.5 cm}{4.75 in | 12.1 cm}{3.5 in | 8.9 cm}XXL-3XL10-12

My rough measurements with a tape measure this evening:

XX Large Turtle Fin foot pocket opening 4.25 in 2.75 in
(Vertical & horizontal, not diagonal measures.)

XL Smoke on the Water 3.9 in 3.7 in

If I managed not to screw up the measuring, which was rough. I'm not 'handy.'

If the OMS Slipstream is a little shorter than the Smoke on the Water foot pocket, and if the pocket is more rigid, that's my only clear concern.

Richard.

Here's what I got for my XXL Slipstreams. Width 4-3/4, height 3-3/4, depth 9-1/4 at the base. My shoe size is 11EE, but I wear a drysuit with attached hard rubber boot. Your best bet is to find someone with a pair and try them because I think it's going to be close.
fd6192af833f32feb7ef6e382347b81d.jpg
f31514063681dd6f6baf7ed0841ebfd1.jpg
036abbde9d085e1712563acce264a07d.jpg

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Quick follow up. I bought a pair of 2XL OMS Slipstreams, they fit fine with the SeaSoft Stealths but I had foot cramps with that combo. at a local quarry, so I bought a pair of size 15 Neosport 7 mm boots and used those with the Slipstreams on a recent California trip. My findings:

1.) They fit me fine.

2.) Even though I was in a wetsuit rather than dry suit, they did not make me too 'foot light.' I still packed plenty of weight into my Sherwood Avid 2XL BCD rear trim pockets.

3.) I did not get foot cramps. My overall experience of the fins was positive. I picked up my pair at Water Dogs, a fine dive shop in Clarksville, TN, where Rich Holladay helped me research options. Apeks RK3's were mentioned; from what I read they're a rubber fin & I suspected would be heavier, but he told me "...the slipstreams weigh 2.95 lbs in your size and the super RK3’s weigh 2.75 lbs (slightly buoyant)...." but I didn't try them.

I notice Deep 6 Expedition Dive Gear is offering the Eddy Fin, but looks like it only goes up to size XL for now. Online, it looks a bit like my Slipstreams.

Richard.

We (Deep 6) actually have a XXL version of the Eddy fin that will be available for sale really soon.(5 weeks or so). I am actually in Taiwan now and among many things I am doing is QA on them and SMall-Medium as well.

The xxl fin was specifically designed to be an option in fins for folks that have large feet. Most people with size 12 and up feet have great difficulty finding a fin they can wear with rock boot style drysuit boots, as do folks with size 14 up with finding fins in general that fit their wetsuit boot.
The fin pocket is designed that you can get proper support to/past the arch so it isn't just toes jammed in the pocket which can cause fatigue and hurts until you get used to it. Anyhow, the xxl has been tested with up to size 15 rock boots with which the bottom reaches approx half way down the foot arch. Size 14 rock boots just past the arch.

Discount Divers in Seattle has a couple of pair of FF Pro in 3XL. You'll have to give them a call. I am a 14, and I can comfortably wear a 2XL Force Fin. If your looking for a frog kick fin the FF Hockey Blade and the Excellerator are great options. Bob has informed me that the Hockey is coming back into production very soon, if you contact ForceFin he will give you the information.

While this is an old thread, it may serve as a reference for some people. On a recent Florida trip, the Slipstreams pressed on the sides of my big toes uncomfortably; wasn't wearing lycra socks, but otherwise don't know what would've changed. Regardless, I was concerned enough about what that might mean for high-volume dive trips (e.g.: live-aboard, Bonaire) to pick up a pair of 2XL Eddy Fins (Deep 6), and got a pair of the soft material version (which is in limited supply, but was recommended in another thread for flutter kickers).

I started another thread with photos, measurement and tentative comparison. Only dove the Eddys once so far (freshwater quarry dive yesterday), but I think I like them better. Time will tell.

Deep 6 Soft Eddy 2XL vs. OMS Slipstream 2XL

I have 2xl Jet fins. I've never found a boot that was comfortable and they tend to be heavy. I appreciate all the info in this thread. I think I am going to try to fabricate some bungee straps as that might alleviate some of the pressure. FYI I also wear 15W or 16D shoes depending on the shoe.

One of the challenges that I am sure that you are seeing is that big fins are generally made for people with normal feet and tall /thick boots. The foot pocket isn't long enough and is damn near square.

I have some aeris velocity x3 that I think are xl/xxl that fit pretty good but they are kinda flimsy compared to what I am looking for.

I am wondering how the diverite xt would work in their largest size.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom