Smallest reel for DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm using a finger spool now, but I think a reel would be better. I like to hang on it when surfacing and it's too hard to reel in on the spool while keeping the SMB standing up.

I don't need more than 100' of line and 75' would probably do if it meant a smaller reel.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm using a finger spool now, but I think a reel would be better. I like to hang on it when surfacing and it's too hard to reel in on the spool while keeping the SMB standing up.

I don't need more than 100' of line and 75' would probably do if it meant a smaller reel.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Please take a look at this reel. It is very sturdy and it has a rachet type of configuration to allow it to freespool in only one direction. This helps prevent line tangles. The reel is specifically designed to allow one hand operation, using the thumb to release line. You will appreciate the comfortable handle when hanging on a safety stop.

Utility Reel | MAKO Spearguns

MUR.1-2T.jpg

I use a Manta Nano or Nano Plus. I used to use the dive rite reels. Got tired of the damn spools falling apart and having to glue them back together. Also like a smooth sided one. I liked the Manta reels so much that I became a dealer and have both of the aforementioned ones in stock.

I like to hang on it when surfacing and it's too hard to reel in on the spool while keeping the SMB standing up.

I think my Manta Jr. is the bee‘s knees, but likely more reel than you currently need. Jim‘s suggestions are probably spot on.

I must add that I use a reel when necessary, but opt for the simplicity of a finger spool if it will do the job. By clipping a double ender to your line once your bag is deployed, you can use it to “ratchet“ up the line rather than spinning it up in your hand [if that makes sense]. Once at a desired depth, clip the line and spool together and “hang“ ‘til your heart‘s content.

If someone has a link to a nice example of this technique, please offer it up to the OP for clarification.

Are you doing ocean dives? If so keep in mind the current will create a large curve in you line eating up a lot of the length. My personal opinion, get a reel that is twice the length of your deepest depth.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Hey Kairoos. I see some of the greatest variety in divers choice of spools and reels then I think for any other piece of dive gear. In WPB spools are common but so are reels with top handles like the Dive Rite classic safty reel and the Mantas. Less commonly I see the side handle reels like the Manta Nano, LM or DR sidewinder. I use a LM and just saw its on sale at DGE.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2015 at 08:33 AM ----------

Are you doing ocean dives? If so keep in mind the current will create a large curve in you line eating up a lot of the length. My personal opinion, get a reel that is twice the length of your deepest depth.

Aquabot is spot on here. You need more then just the line for your depth. I use the LM with 250 line. I recall one dive that the current was moderate at depth but whipping at the surface. I shot my bag and the line ran and ran...

Hey Kairoos. I see some of the greatest variety in divers choise of spools and reels then I think for any other peice of dive gear. In WPB spools are common but so are reels with top handles like the Dive Rite classic safty reel and the Mantas. Less commonly I see the side handle reels like the Manta Nano, LM or DR sidewinder. I use a LM and just saw its on sale at DGE.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2015 at 08:33 AM ----------

Aquabot is spot on here. You need more then just the line for your depth. I use the LM with 250 line. I recall one dive that the current was moderate at depth but whipping at the surface. I shot my bag and the line ran and ran...
Yup I had to learn from experience myself diving on the hydro Atlantic and the Jim atria. At the time I only had a 200-foot light monkey real, with the current at that time it almost wasn't enough

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom