Enhanced air...does it help fatigue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many variables in actual dives and divers, and fatigue is subjective, so it’s difficult to design a valid study. But there are so many independent anecdotes that it’s hard to dismiss the concept. I’m one who thinks Nitrox helps me – especially on multi-day multi-dive trips.
As Lynne Flaherty said, the plural of anecdote is not data.

As Lynne Flaherty said, the plural of anecdote is not data.

She's far from the only one who has said that.

But when you don't have proper data, anecdotes may be the only thing to base your hypotheses on. You just have to remember that what you have isn't a theory, but only a shaky hypothesis.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

At least I haven't heard the opposite postulated.
Although there's surely someone who thinks diving nitrox makes them more tired (oxygen toxicity aside).

Painter,

Everything I know about EAN adds up to a common sense answer that it does help as does the subjective sentiment of many. My limited experience is inconclusive and scientific studies say it has no effect.

For a new diver 4 dives in a day probably will leave you beat. Some points to consider....

What were you wearing? At that dive rate you want to start out feeling a little over dressed. Water conducts thermal energy from your body just over 25 times faster than air. If you were not well suited you were on the road to silent hypothermia. This can leave divers lethargic on a dive intensive vacation.

How was your pace and composure? Were you zipping around, flapping your arms? A seasoned diver will be very efficient in movement to conserve energy and this also avoids flushing water through a suit. There is case that being "active" keeps the metabolism up and generates boddy heat but the net effect is not to your advantage.

And the big one..... Did you make extra ascents or just 1 per dive? Were your assents gradual, especially from the safety stop up? Abusive ascents will leave you profoundly tired. Make your final ascent as gradual as possible

Diving is a lot like a dance. One you learn the steps so they are second nature it's a lot easier.

Pete

To the OP,
Nitrox is very useful.
Does it help fatigue? Find it out yourself. As for me the answer is NO.

If you are doing a couple relatively easy dives in a dive day, I am sure you would not notice a difference.

I'm of the belief that much of the unnatural fatigue experienced by divers stems from decompression stress.

In that respect, it's important to differentiate between 'easy' and 'clean' dives.

I notice the most decompression stress after completing shallow (<12m) skills dives, especially when there is ascent and buoyancy training involving multiple small (+/-4m) ascents or depth variations (relatively sawtooth profiles, given the shallow depth).

After these dives, I can feel very exhausted... Fall asleep on the boat and/or couch mode. Yet after repetitive deep or decompression dives (using nitrox, multiple off-gassing stops and ascent/deco gasses), I usually feel fresh as a daisy and full of vitality.

Like many technical divers, I pay close attention to my post-dive vitality, as a means to determine optimal deco algorithm and ascent protocols across a range of dive parameters.

For many recreational divers, 'easy' dives can still provoke significant decompression stress through sawtooth profiles, imprecise ascent speeds and minimal or no stops before surfacing.

Nitrox reduces decompression stress, where it might occur. However, if the diver isn't creating significant decompression stress in the first place, no difference in post-dive vitality will be noticed.

Hence, the experienced divers on thread, who do 'clean' dives will notice little/no variation in post-dive vitality.

Less experienced or more aggressive divers, doing 'dirty' profiles and ascents might notice (and benefit from) the impact of nitrox in reducing decompression stress during the ascent phase of the dive.

I'm a 65 year old male, a bit overweight at 6'2" and 225 lbs. I am a believer that reduced nitrogen decreases fatigue in 3+ dive days. This is not a placebo effect -- simply my personal "field" experience.

scientific studies say it has no effect
Not really. Have you read those studies? They are irrelevant to multiple dives a day over multiple days, which is when the anecdotal evidence points to an effect of fatigue lessening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom