Enhanced air...does it help fatigue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am new to diving, 12 dives total.

I took a trip to Key Largo recently and planned on doing a two tank trip in the morning and a two tank trip in the afternoon for the three days that I was there. At the end of the first day, though, I was so wiped out that I didn't even want a beer (very rare for me). I only did the morning trips for the next two days and was just fine. Though I enjoyed myself I was a bit disappointed because one of my goals was to get in as many dives as possible to build confidence and experience.

I read somewhere that using enhanced air can lower the fatigue felt at the end of a dive. I wonder if I would have been able to handle the four dives in one day if I had been using nitrox?

Some background. I am almost 65, a bit overweight, but in reasonably good condition...excercise bike three times a week...and otherwise in good health except for a physical disability that doesn't affect my ability to swim (but the bike is the only good way for me to get aerobic excercise). Maybe just putting in more time at the gym would be the answer. Opinions?

In my opinion, I don't see any evidence for it.

I've been making "technical" dives since 2002 and having made round about 700 "decompression" dives I don't see any evidence at all that nitrox at any mix makes a difference to how you feel. If you feel crappy without Nitrox then I think you might have a medical problem.

R..

I've often considered unnatural/unwarranted fatigue after a dive to be significant of decompression stress (non-symptomatic DCI). Some believe this fatigue stems from excessive microbubbles occurring in the body... something that can happen very easily with fast tissues on shallow recreational dives; especially if there are saw-tooth profiles, faster ascents, limited stops and repetitive dives.

I have been reading, with interest, recently on the relationship between bubble formation and immune-system responses in the body. Some of those responses seem to link with other studies completed on endurance athletes, whose physical activities also trigger an immune response and brain chemistry changes - believed to result in significant fatigue and decreased vitality.

Microbubbles exist in all divers on ascent and, for a time, at the surface. They are measured with doppler ultrasound. However, they are not of sufficient size to cause diagnosable DCI symptoms, resolve themselves without immediate injury (although there is disccusion of long-term effects such as osteonecrosis and brain lesions) and do not require medical treatment.

The number of microbubbles occuring in the body (the 'bubble score') is known to be effected by ascent speed and the depth/duration of off-gassing (deco or 'safety') stops.

Nitrox reduces nitrogen absorption for a given dive profile (time and depth) compared to air. That, in itself, will decrease the propensity for bubbles, large or small.

Perhaps more importantly in this context, Nitrox also widens the off-gassing gradient upon ascent. It 'accelerates' decompression, compared to air. That helps reduce decompression stress... and may (I propose...) reduce the incidence of microbubbles throughout the body - alleviating otherwise unwarranted or unnatural fatigue post-dive (or preserving post-dive vitality, depending on how you look at it).

Studies conducted thus far on nitrox have not, I believe, looked into the issue of fatigue as a signifier of decompression stress and elevated micro-bubble score.... and whether nitrox use reduces these elements to preserve post-dive vitality.

Note: I say "preserve post-dive vitality".... the vitality you should have after the dive, given the relative physical stresses which your body is subjected to on a given dive, in comparison to your pre-dive vitality. Nitrox does not make you feel 'better' after a dive... it merely decreases the level of fatigue which a diver might otherwise have become accustomed to on their previous (non-nitrox) dives. That fatigue can be more significant if the diver maintains poor dive profiles and ascent behavior. It will be less significant in divers who otherwise maintain clean dive profiles and efficient ascent strategies.

In a nutshell: If you dive in a manner that elevates decompression stress, you might suffer post-dive fatigue (non-symptomatic DCI) due to higher microbubble score on surfacing. Nitrox use will reduce that decompression stress and the associated post-dive fatigue, compensating for some of the bad profile/ascent habits that exist. If you are accustomed to the post-dive symptoms of elevated decompression stress, nitrox use might reduce the fatigue you typically associate with diving, thus creating the 'illusion' that it makes you feel 'better' afterwards.

Last edited:
I rarely dive nitrox and then only 2 dives in a day, but never felt any different than with Air. I'm 61.

Yes, enhanced air reduces fatigue and in addition it cures dandruff and is a potent aphrodisiac.

Yes, enhanced air reduces fatigue and in addition it cures dandruff and is a potent aphrodisiac.

Hey, whatever works for you!

I wonder if I would have been able to handle the four dives in one day if I had been using nitrox?

In addition to the comments regarding fatigue from water temperature, are you sure the fatigue isn't coming from the multiple trips of hauling heavy equipment to and fro? Because in that case, more time in the gym and more strength training will help.

There are many variables in actual dives and divers, and fatigue is subjective, so it’s difficult to design a valid study. But there are so many independent anecdotes that it’s hard to dismiss the concept. I’m one who thinks Nitrox helps me – especially on multi-day multi-dive trips.

There is some indication that fatigue can be a symptom of sub-clinical DCS. If that's what's happening to you (and there's no way to prove it, AFAIK), Nitrox may help. Otherwise it probably won't.

I guess I should check my mix again. It has done nothing for my dandruff.

At 60+ I have used Nitrox on livaboards and have done 4 dives and occasionally 5 in one day. It may be a placebo but it works for me in reducing fatigue. While there may be no scientific evidence to prove it, I will continue to use Nitrox.

Yes, enhanced air ... is a potent aphrodisiac.
...which is the reason for the massive nitrox poaching in Africa.

But seriously folks, I am one who believes it helps when you are doing multiple dive days, as you would do on a week on a liveaboard. The laughable studies that on this topic compared how people felt (totally subjective) after a couple easy dives, and decided that there was no difference. If you are doing a couple relatively easy dives in a dive day, I am sure you would not notice a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom