Palau, What to do with Extra Days???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, looking for advice on things to do in Palau. We are booked for a week on a live-aboard (Solitude One) in Palau for the end of January. We have one day on Palau before the boat departs, and one day at the end. Looking for advice on best things to do with that time. I am leaning towards kayaking, as I am afraid we will not get much opportunity to explore the rock islands up close and at our own pace from the dive boat (MV Solitude One). I am a photographer and am looking for split shots (housed SLR). I have inquired about the opportunity for snorkeling the rock islands and all I was told was that we would be snorkeling Jellyfish Lake. I am a wetland ecologist and love jungle/tropical plants so topside recommendations are welcome also. THANKS!

Sams Tours has a variety of non-diving activities. We heard good things about their kayaking trip. Check their website.
We also saw someone rent a car for day and drive to various places to hike to waterfalls, etc. The vehicle turned out to be a real "wreck" with holes in the floorboard so water and mud splashed up on them as they drove on the dirt roads...just a warning.

Quite likely you'll find the best thing to do with your day at the beginning is to rest after the long trip and try to get yourself adjusted to the time zone before you get on the boat.

We did a rock islands kayak trip with Sam's and it was great. There were several opportunities to snorkel along the way.

Where are you staying?

The rock islands are great to explore by kayak. You also will see lots of WWII artifacts when exploring by kayak. They also will probably take you to see some really big stone money.

We rented a truck one day and toured the Northern end of Palau. Saw a traditional Palau village / stone carvings / ...

Thanks!

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2015 at 10:08 AM ----------

We are staying at DW Hotel the first night but only for one night. We also need to either book another night or find some other way of storing our luggage before boarding. DW had no vacancy for the end part of the trip and we are not booked anywhere as of now.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2015 at 10:10 AM ----------

Where did you rent the vehicle? The only place I have found on-line was the airport, which may not be very convenient. Any possibility we would be able to safely store our luggage with the kayak operator?

Jason and Chris at Palau Dive Adventures can help you get around town and are real pros. For me, they are THE dive op on Palau. Getting popular are stand-up paddle boards....

My wife and I did an ATV tour through Fish in Fins and had a great time! It was an all day thing that included lunch. Did a nice tour of town, then went off roading to historic and scenic sites. Kayaking the rock islands through Sam's was fantastic too. Our next trip, I'd do a day trip to Pelilieu, one of the most historic sites of WWII.

If you're on a liveaboard,you may already get some land time on Pelilieu. We didn't get there when we did the Aggressor years ago, but we did on our recent trip on Ocean Hunter 3. About half the group did an island tour while the rest of us just hung out and explored on our own.

For a kayak trip you're probably looking at an all day excursion with lunch. (Longer is better there's lots to see.) So I don't know that you would do that and also rent a car to tour around. Getting picked up or dropped off by whatever operators you're working with between the liveaboard and any tour shouldn't be a problem. And you'd want to verify with the ops but I think at least Sam's or Fish & Fins would allow you to leave luggage if you're out with them. (Safe is another matter - I don't recall if they really have a secure place it might be more of a pile it up in a corner thing.) Or if you book a room for the day someplace they might transport your luggage there for you, and the hotel could put it in your room when available. Thing is, you'll still have a fair amount of time after the tour, assuming you're on the 0'dark hundred United flight. It's a drag to pay for a hotel for the few hours you would be using it. But the ops will close at some point, and hanging out at the airport all evening for a 1am flight isn't any fun (assuming you even can.) A hotel gives you a place for your luggage, and a base to clean up, change, go eat, repack anything etc. before heading to the airport.

Alternatively, you might be able to get taken to the airport, rent a car, keep your stuff in it while kayaking, clean up at the op, explore a little, then kill time with a very long dinner & drinks someplace. We haven't actually tried that but it might work ok. I assume any car rental place there has a way of dealing with odd hours stuff, since it's all odd hours.

I went snorkeling at the Pan Pacific hotel and it was surprisingly good with a lot of giant clams. Peleliu is very interesting and not to be missed. A lot of history to see on a tour. Take mosquito repellent and expect it to be hot

Hello Damselfish (LOVE your name!!) My husband and I are taking the Siren live aboard February 6-13 in Palau so I was very interested in your comments. Given the complexity of getting out of Palau without island hopping we now have 3 full days after the live aboard. Sounds like Sams Tours are the place for a kayak day--if you have other recommendations I'd be grateful. I think we will just pay for most of a day at our hotel (Palau Pacific) which seems quite expensive but is no doubt better than late night at the airport. We are going from there to Thailand--have you dived there?

Cheers ...
Sandy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom