Article: Is the Dive Watch Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That wasn’t my plan. I wore it almost 30 years. I don’t dare wear it now since learning what it is worth. I paid $328 for it and a “double red” Sea Dweller is supposed to be in the low to mid 5 digits now. It lives in a safe deposit box now. Too bad, it is a very comfortable watch considering how heavy it is.

Wearing something that is worth more to a thief than my hand is unwise in my view.

I bought a double red in 1972 for $520 Canadian, unfortunately Rolex replaced the dial with a white faced model when I had it cleaned. I sold that watch to a collector (after 30 years of use) for $17,000! The guy who purchased it wanted a double red and that was the going rate for just the watch with proper serial numbers (double red series). He told me the double red complete was worth $50,000 at that time. I kicked myself for throwing out the double red dial (Rolex always returns the old parts). I remember at the time, thinking what am I going to do with an old watch face as I threw it in the garbage. If only I knew... :)

I purchased a Rolex Deep Sea to replace it for $10,000 and banked the other $7,000. I've been using it ever since, so I've always been one of the guys that dive with a Rolex. It's insured, so if I lose it on a reef, or to a thief, I'll just buy another one. The good thing about the watch is I don't worry about it (water, oil, vibration, winding/battery, anything). I just wear it and it tells the correct time. The only problem is remembering to move the date at the end of a short month.

Like you, I've used my Sea-Dweller during Sat. As I was the Supervisor, no one said anything, but in Global, no one would anyway. I did however blow-up a submariner in the chamber at DCIEM (before the introduction of the helium escape valve; we just opened the screw to make sure it wasn't sealed). The tech was ticked at me when we heard the ping and pieces of my watch were all over the chamber. Poor guy had to completely clean the chamber. As you know a little gear oil in a chamber doesn't mix very well.... Ah, the good ol' days.... :)

I bought a double red in 1972 for $520 Canadian, unfortunately Rolex replaced the dial with a white faced model when I had it cleaned…

I learned what a "Double Red" was from one of your posts. I was actually thinking of sending it to Rolex to service it. You saved me from an expensive mistake, but now I’m afraid to wear it in public. :shakehead:

i'm a watch guy.i have a seiko sports given to me by my father when i was eleven.handy for letting me know when the bar is open.i wear it on dives but only to keep an eye on the time.

I am very surprised that a 'screw-down crown' was not part of the items to consider when selecting dive watch. Many watches can be rated for 200+ meters of water resistance but become a pain to use if they get alittle water inside from the crown being lose//bumped//etc or only sealed with o-rings making it fog up.

Good photo of a screw down crown below.
http://www.watchwallpapers.com/ssdsre6.jpg

I am very surprised that a 'screw-down crown' was not part of the items to consider when selecting dive watch. Many watches can be rated for 200+ meters of water resistance but become a pain to use if they get alittle water inside from the crown being lose//bumped//etc or only sealed with o-rings making it fog up.

Good photo of a screw down crown below.
http://www.watchwallpapers.com/ssdsre6.jpg

just assumed ne real dive watch has that...

I wear my watch everywhere. Its part of me. The only time it comes off is when it gets replaced with a new one which recently happened when I replaced my 20 year old TAG with an Omega.

How else can you know what time it is unless you have a watch on your wrist, both submerged and topside?

I know kids use those damned camera phones, but I'm talking about adults.

Sorry about resurrecting an old post, but every time I try to click on the link int he first post, I keep getting directed to this page instead: Sickle Cell.

I also couldn't find the article using the search function. Can someone please point me to the original content? Thank you!

Sorry about resurrecting an old post, but every time I try to click on the link int he first post, I keep getting directed to this page instead: Sickle Cell.

I also couldn't find the article using the search function. Can someone please point me to the original content? Thank you!

Looks like the article didn't make to the new Scubaboard format. You can still see it at the following:

IS THE DIVE WATCH DEAD?

Back
Top Bottom