Shipping tanks ahead when traveling in the U.S.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wondering about the practicality of shipping tanks ahead from a home in the U.S. to a destination in the U.S. when traveling. Is anything special required to ship tanks via UPS or USPS? I don't believe USPS allows compressed gasses, is an empty tank with an open valve acceptable? Are dive operators accustomed to or willing to help out with this sort of thing? Are the costs and hassle such that it's really better to deal with an AL80 or whatever the dive ops provide?

I can't imagine why one would bother.

Reactions: RJP
Why do you feel the need to ship tanks along?

Unless they are specific for a RB, why can't you use the operations provided tank?

Some issues pop up with the operator side
- reliably filling them for your day(s) of diving (HP and full fills on time)
- local standards for filling tanks and markings
- assuming they are much larger than an AL80, being the fact you are usually in open ocean, you start messing with their protocols about dive times, meals, and getting back home safely, as well as their other guests timings

Having said that, all carriers require empty tanks with the valve removed.

BRad
-

Thanks for the replies. The full thought process goes like this.

While I am new at this, I'm trying to think through my rig so I don't buy stuff that I have to trade up. Some of the best diving in my area is in cold water and fairly deep, so I anticipate that when my experience and training are sufficient, I'll be using midsize or larger doubles for at least some of my local dives.

Ideally I might then use smaller (LP50) doubles in the many situations where the capacity of the larger doubles isn't required. That would give me a lighter kit, without requiring a smaller wing, reconfiguration of my regulators, different hose lengths, or a mental change in procedures when switching back and forth over the summer.

The question would then be what to do on, say, a winter trip to Florida.

Use the operator's tanks and a weight belt if diving aluminum. Most if not all operators have steel rentals. Except me.

Thanks for the replies. The full thought process goes like this.

While I am new at this, I'm trying to think through my rig so I don't buy stuff that I have to trade up. Some of the best diving in my area is in cold water and fairly deep, so I anticipate that when my experience and training are sufficient, I'll be using midsize or larger doubles for at least some of my local dives.

Ideally I might then use smaller (LP50) doubles in the many situations where the capacity of the larger doubles isn't required. That would give me a lighter kit, without requiring a smaller wing, reconfiguration of my regulators, different hose lengths, or a mental change in procedures when switching back and forth over the summer.

Only dive with ops that can provide the tanks you want. Easy enough to make some calls and confirm. This kind of question is actually a part of the dive plan you will use when you travel. Along with determining if they have weights, what sites they will do, what they require for certs, etc. Along with other parts of the DIVE plan like what airline you will use and where you'll stay. All part of the dive plan.

If you're shipping doubles, it would quickly be more cost beneficial to just buy a used set when you get to where ever you're going.

The short answer; people don't bring tanks with them when they travel.

...\\...
The short answer; people don't bring tanks with them when they travel.
Except for small pony bottles. Usually not shipped ahead but some of us take them along on our flights.

Rent....

Let's price that out. Somewhat of a swag - I know a Faber steel 40 weighs 15 and a steel 80 weighs 29. So let's call it 21lbs/50. The manifold weighs a couple more so 45lbs. ballpark. Not counting the packaging - if you plan to do a lot of it, you may want something more substantial than a good box. But let's go with 45lbs.

Minn. to Miami on a 4-day UPS ground shipment is $69 one way. Or $140 round trip. I didn't check the Post Office because I'm sure they're higher.

Here's another thought - you get on the standard two-tank day boat trip in FL. You do one dive on your small doubles. The boat - being a SoFl day boat - doesn't have a compressor. So you sit out the 2nd dive - or switch to one of their tanks making the whole reason you shipped yours pretty silly....Many places in SoFl rent steel 100's so you can rent the same amount of air without the hassle. Probably a very similar weight also. Buy a STA - single tank adapter for your bp/w and you're good to go.

The only time it could possibly make sense is on a liveboard since they fill with a whip between dives. So do some of the bigger diveboats - like the big SoCal boats. But on the standard dive boat - compressor filling is few and far between - just not cost effective and they're big machines - some even have banked storage. Plus when there's 2 dozen other divers on the boat all wanting air within an hour - it's almost impossible to manage. It's why you see many more tank racks than divers on most dive boats - the crew - or you - switch tanks between dives.

You seem to be moving towards a BP/W in some of your threads. A good reason for one is to have the ability to easily adapt to different tanks sizes found at your destination. Leave the 50's home. Should you plan do to something international - on Fedex Economy the rate to a known dive destination like Cayman is something like $400 one way. It's actually cheaper to fly there and buy tanks and leave them behind.

Nobody flies with tanks anymore except ponies or if someone else is paying. The TSA shut that down by requiring all valves be removed for inspection. Technically at your destination a reliable shop should inspect your tank b4 installing the valve and filling it also. Some even charge extra for it. They'll do that for your 50's also since I doubt UPS will take them full either - they aren't the gentlest on handling packages so there's a slight chance it could rupture - or knock the valve off and go thru the car in the next lane over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom