Arm ball out of socket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easier to pop back in underwater. When I was using loc-line, I had to do it many times. Definitely have a fishing line or wire inside. If they're not too long, flex arms work fine. They're easy to position under water, but if you make them long they get too flexy and you lose your strobe position due to bumping. They do flop too much on the surface, and everyone complained about my squeaking camera.

It is really interesting that the still photo folks use UL and most of the video folk I know use LocLine (even to hold big Keldans).Weird
BVA

It is really interesting that the still photo folks use UL and most of the video folk I know use LocLine (even to hold big Keldans).Weird
BVA
Agreed. And I do not know why.

My old Amphibico video rigs used those squeeky wiggly floppy annoying arms. Above water the video light was way too heavy. I learned to tuck them in so they would not flop when being carried or handed to me on the boat. Underwater the arm was fine. But still squeeky.

When I graduated to a still camera I went arm & ball just because that is what came with the standard package i bought. I did not know any better. It took a while to learn not to over tighten the clamps.

Now I think the ball and arm is a better solution. I claim it is because (i think!) i can re-position a strobe back into the same spot it was before. I am not sure that there is any science to back my claim. Maybe the reality it that the ball arm system has a more limited range of motion "from each joint"? So it feels more repeatable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom