Problem with a new BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkiely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I left the brand out of the title hoping to get input from the SB community first and not from the manufacturer. I bought a Zeagle Ranger a few weeks ago, before I dove it I adjusted the cumber bun out to fit a little better with my wetsuits. After I moved them out I noticed that the cumber bun straps were binding up on the shoulder straps. I compared it to the BCDs at the shop I work at and it was pretty obvious that the BC I bought was assembled using the wrong parts and the parts were installed in the wrong place. After contacting Zeagle (Huish) I sent them pictures and a couple of days later I was told it was in fact defective and to send it back. I made it clear on the phone that I did not want a BCD that had been torn apart and put back together, that this was a new BCD and I expected a new one in return if the repairs could not be made to where it was not noticeable. Well I got it back and it still doesn't look exactly like the BCDs we stock in the shop and I can tell it's been repaired. The straps aren't in the same spot as the BCDs I have on the shelf and the strap was sewn on top of the piping that runs around the BCD where as from the factory it is sewn under the piping/trim. May not seem like a big deal but when they cut that webbing and burn it so it doesn't fray it actually becomes pretty hard and not comfortable against the skin and I imagine would tear a wetsuit quickly.

Im at a cross roads of what to do. Everything I dive comes from Huish.. Atomic regs, Bare wetsuits, and now this BCD. It's pretty much the only product line I push at the shop even though we carry a vast selection of other manufactures. I hate the situation because I love the gear but I don't want my customers to have to deal with a situation like this and to be honest I'm not happy with the repair on the BCD or the situation in general. I've had the BCD back for about a week now and have had zero follow up from Zeagle or Huish to see if I was happy with the repair.

Too a new diver, the repairs made would not be noticeable, but I can tell it's been repaired. I also am a little hesitant to dive it because I'm worried if something like this could be over looked, then something else could have been missed.

I guess I'm asking that after you all look at the pictures, would you be happy with the situation.

Untitled-1.jpg

Actually the more I sit here and think about it I realize just how unhappy I am with the repair. I just emailed Zeagle/Huish. Ill keep you updated as to what they say.

I would still like to know what you all think about the situation and what you think should be done to correct the problem and if what they did was enough.

Personally...I would expect a new replacement not a repair. I have heard good things about Zeagle, I hope this turns out well for you both. You and Zeagle that is.

I would certainly push for a new replacement. It was defective - put together wrong, and they admitted this. If something had gone wrong after a bunch of use that would be warrenty. This is not. The item was manufactured wrong and I would bet they would not repair it (the way it has been repaired) and sell it as new. I would push hard, very hard for a new replacement.

I would still like to know what you all think about the situation and what you think should be done to correct the problem and if what they did was enough.
1. I agree with you - if you purchased a brand 'new' Ranger, and the manufacturer says it is 'defective', then the manufacturer should replace the 'defective' unit with a 'new, not defective' unit, rather than a 'previously defective but now repaired' unit. That is pretty much a no-brainer based on the information you provided.

2. I have always had excellent service and support from Zeagle. The company previously replaced a defective 30lb wing with a new wing, then replaced a defective bladder with a new bladder, at no charge. They repaired a 10 y.o. Ranger, that wasn't defective, just well worn, at no charge. Over the years I have dealt primarily with Susan Sheffield, in Zephyr Hills, and I have only the highest praise for her responsiveness and assistance.

3. Huish is consolidating a lot of their operations, and have already moved much of their manufacturing and distribution operations in order to centralize them. They recently announced that the Zephyr Hills site will be closed altogether. The point of mentioning this is that, notwithstanding the fact that the Huish people in SLC are friendly, helpful, etc., etc., the Zeagle organization in 2015 is no longer the Zeagle culture that it was before. There may be some hiccups and deviations from the previous model of customer support that Zeagle customers have come to expect and value.

But, keep pushing for a proper replacement. And, do post a note to let us know the outcome of your situation.

I have been a dealer for the Zeagle line for 17 years and never in my days have I ever had an issue with a Zeagle product that they couldn't resolve. I think if you mentioned to them your concerns they would take care of it appropriately.

Over the years I have dealt primarily with Susan Sheffield, in Zephyr Hills, and I have only the highest praise for her responsiveness and assistance.

That's who I've been dealing with so far. I'm expecting to hear from her or someone from Zeagle/Huish on Monday.

I've only heard good things about Zeagle in general, including their customer service.... another reason this situation is so disappointing.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2015 at 03:51 PM ----------

first of all your shop should have given you a new one!! Then they should have sent it back and delt with the manufacture not you!!!!!

I didn't order it through the shop. I ordered it direct from the vendor. We didn't have my size in stock when I decided to buy one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom