TSandM -- Lynne Flaherty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We can only hope so :)

I don't know what to say.

I don't come to SB often these days (really ever, anymore). For some reason I thought I might stop in to the forums tonight, on the anniversary of the Edmund Fitzgerald, and saw a reference to this.

Just. Wow.

Reading through some of the early posts, where people were hoping she'd be found, I knew right away this wouldn't be like Joe and Delia's "adventure" in a fogbank.

In fact, if it weren't for Lynne, I would never have met up with Joe and the 5thD-X crew and learned how to dive properly, instead of being the underwater equivalent of a certain flailing indigo muppet. That all seems so long ago.

I had always hoped to meet Lynne in person. Oddly enough, it almost happened earlier this summer when I got in a bicycling accident in greater Seattle, but ambulances take you where they take you, and in the end I was well cared for at the ER of a nearby hospital. And nobody wants be "that guy" who pesters a doctor/friend with medical questions, especially all bandaged up. Now part of me wishes I had.

Lynne was definitely one of the good ones. The world was far better for her having been in it.

Godspeed.

i haven't been on in a while either ... and this was the 1st thing that caught my eye and was like H* f*. Never got to meet Lynne but got to read so many of her posts.. Definitely will be missed by all :(

I just saw this post today and I am shocked to hear of her passing. I enjoyed reading Lynne's posts and learnt a lot from them. My Condolences for your loss.

Peter,
My condolences.

Lynne provided a clear, passionate voice of reason that will be missed here in SB.

During this holiday season, I have found myself thinking frequently of Lynne. And of her family, dealing with their first holiday season without her.

I haven't been diving since right before we lost Lynne, due to a couple of surgeries that sidelined me. I'm about to depart on a trip to the Caribbean, where I will do my first diving since her passing. I feel very ambivalent. Part of me wants to plunge forward with gusto, knowing that diving was such a passion for Lynne, and imagining that she'd want her friends and dive buddies to continue to pursue it with all the zeal she felt towards this amazing sport.

But another part of me feels that its lost some of its sparkle. I even find myself feeling some fear, because we all know that there was no diver more devoted to safe diving than Lynne...and if even she could be lost, it could happen to any of us no matter how diligent. And just knowing that Lynne can't be out there too...well, it takes away some of the joy. Dammit.

I will go, and I will dive...and I will think of Lynne, and Peter, and all of the hundreds if not thousands of divers whose lives were touched by this amazing woman...who were inspired by her passion, enlightened by her wisdom, or enriched by simply knowing this incredibly nice person. But I suspect my first descent will be challenging...how does one clear their ears when they are sobbing?

If Lynne was here, I'll bet she'd know!! :angel2:

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

I am stunned. The world is a darker place, with one less sun to shine the way. No way we would ever meet, but always she was the person to whose words at SB I sent students, especially women divers, to read.

In this new year, I pledge to try to be the kind of person she was. May the internet allow her wisdom to live forever.

I never met Lynne, I did always enjoyed her posts, and we do have some mutual friends in BC and Mexico. Such a tragic loss but after reading all the posts and the tribute article to her, all I can say is may we all live life as fully as Lynne did...

Well ****... I've been away from ScubaBoard, and diving in general, for several years, but I was a new diver around the same time Lynne was. I remember reading her blog posts about her open water classes, and thoroughly enjoyed them. They were funny and inspiring. I finally was back in the water on Tuesday, probably 2 years since my previous dive, and thought I would visit ScubaBoard today. I saw the post about TSandM's greatest hits, and my first thought was "No f'ing way..." and hoping it didn't mean what I thought it meant. I figured maybe she'd had a short illness or something. The last thing I would have expected was for this to happen during a dive. I'm so sorry for all of her family and friends. I didn't know her, but she seemed like a very inspiring person, and I would have liked to meet her. Just spent some time reading through this thread, and I'll probably go look at the other one now. So sorry for your loss Peter, I can't imagine what's it's like to lose your loved but, and especially to not even know exactly what happened. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom