MaxAir Swim Fins - Stay Down Longer with Less Effort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No fin is worth that price.

You seem to have misunderstood.

He was saying that building the prototypes was $500 a pair. That is all part of sunk cost. Production runs are different.

You seem to have misunderstood.

He was saying that building the prototypes was $500 a pair. That is all part of sunk cost. Production runs are different.

I did not see any prices other than the discount coupon; but I doubt that I misunderstood.:shocked2:

I did not see any prices other than the discount coupon; but I doubt that I misunderstood.:shocked2:

Okay, now I have misunderstood. Where is there a discount coupon? :huh:

There is a discount coupon in the link in the original post. The only other reference to cost is the $500 identified for the pre-production test models.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I'm in the Orlando area and would love to help. Currently using force fins. I'm curious has there been any testing against a current?

You are just who I am looking for. I am in the process of building several of the latest generation and would love to test them against the force fin. I have heard plenty about the force fin but never seen one for real. There were none at DEMA this year.

As for testing against current - that has not been done directly but current is simply a block of water moving. If the current is .5 knot and you are swimming against it at 1.5 knot then your headway is 1.0 knot. These fins have topped out faster than anything it has been tested against so it is presumed they do better in current.

Personally I have towed my wife a quarter mile against a half knot current using these fins (she didn't have them on) with no adverse problems.

TCR logo Txt 150.pngThe price of the production version has not actually been stated. The method of manufacturing these fins is the same as that used for most professional grade fins made today. This involves injection molding the "hard" then injection molding the "rubber" over it to end up with a finished product. Because of this I expect the market price to be very similar to what you find in the stores today. That appears to be between $150 and $200. Many of you may spend more than that at dinner after a good day of diving.

For the purpose of crowdfunding we are shooting for a $200 funding amount to get a backer a pair of fins and a T-shirt and a personal referral code. There are still a lot of details to work out.
Right now we are offering a $40 referral fee code for the first 400 who sign up now and join the crowdfunding when it starts. That referral code will not expire and will get your friends a 10% discount on the fins they purchase. Every backer will get a referral code but those later in the game will get smaller fees.

This is the time to get your foot in the door (in the fin?) so get signed up today here!

I haven’t noticed mention of some of the other things divers care about with fins, such as maneuverability (e.g. "helicopter" and back kick) or non-silting (e.g. frog kick).

Also I see you use a conventional foot pocket. Have you considered something similar to Force Fin’s pocket, that many of us have found puts less stress on ankle tendons and toes?

Helicopters work. One person who tried the MaxAir fins at Blue Heron Bridge was one of REEF's senior fish identifiers. As such she always is carrying a camera. She specifically tested her camera handling techniques which included helicopter spins and backing up. She said they passed with flying colors. Unfortunately, I forgot her name. Hopefully she will see this post and speak for herself.

It is interesting you mentioned foot pockets. We are evaluating several new foot pocket designs with the intent to make them more comfortable and effective. One of my pet peeves with foot pockets is how they smash my toes. Rest assured your toes will be free. As long as we are developing disruptive technology we do not need to stop at the blade.

I was a consumer tester for the Hollis F1 and F1 yellow tips. Still have both pair of my prototypes. I saw some pretty bold claims on your site.

Reduce my air fill carbon footprint by 20%? Really? Based on what? Less fills? A fill is a fill. It's not going to put less air in the tank. The only thing that will lower my fill carbon footprint by 20% is to dive 20% less and get 20% less fills.

As for the air consumption and speed test video I saw lots of sloppy turns and inefficient looking kicks by the diver/divers. This cruising speed that is referred to, what is that? My cruising speed is what I determine it to be. Not the fin. I'm one of the slowest swimmers I know when it comes to cruising a reef, lake, or quarry.

It almost sounds like you're saying a faster speed with this fin is something good? I'd never tell a student that. I also did not see anyone frog kicking with them. Or good clear videos of where the thrust goes on a basic scissor kick close to a silty bottom.

$200 for a pair of fins? Not me. Sorry and I'd never try to talk a student into a pair of fins that are so expensive. The F1's retail for around 189.00 on some sites. I love mine but if I hadn't gotten them for free I would not pay that much for them.

That price gets me a pair of fins and a t shirt as well as a referral code? How would that code be used. It gets my friends 10% off? Do I get that 10% as a commission in the form of a check?

I recommend 2 fins right now to students and customers at every level. One pair retails for less than $50 for recreational divers and the other is under $100 for tech divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom