MaxAir Swim Fins - Stay Down Longer with Less Effort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TECreation

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
FIN61 Poster 800x450.jpg Let's make longer dives normal by making these MaxAir Swim fins the new standard. Years of research and development have gone into these which are proven to use less energy (breathing air) than today's standards. We need to get them manufactured for everyone to discover the benefits. To do this we will be running a crowdfunding campaign which could be quite profitable for the early backers. Go to www.MaxAirFin.com for more information to learn how they work and get in on the ground floor.

Last edited:
I don't get it. If the channels open during the major thrust part of the kick how are you supposed to have any thrust? It seems like these might be "easy" but that you won't go anywhere with your kicks because the channels let all the water pass through the fins instead of resisting the water and propelling you forward.

MaxAir fins work like airplanes

I don't get it. If the channels open during the major thrust part of the kick how are you supposed to have any thrust?

That is a great question. Most fins work on the principle you describe. I call it the barn door effect. The bigger the door the more push required to move it against the wind. While that works it is not very efficient. Have you seen any airplanes which use barn doors as wings? These fins work on the same principles as airplanes. The vanes (wings) rotate to align to the correct angle of attack so there is laminar flow across the vanes with a 5 degree angle of attack. This produces lift on the side of the vane which is facing forward at the time and propels you forward. Here is an illustration of the lift vectors as calculated by a fluid dynamics program for the vane used on this fin.
FIN 0009 Lift Diagram M01D09A0044D00Re10KF.gif

As for the "open channels," they are not lost push. They are lost drag. That is one reason there is so much less effort required to kick. I am spoiled now. Whenever I trade fins with someone so they can try the MaxAir I feel like I have just put boat anchors on my feet. It feels like I am being pulled backwards, especially when coasting. Here is an illustration showing how the vanes work together to provide lift.
FIN Lift.gif In this illustration the swimmer is moving to the right.

I hope this answers your question. Please ask more and ask your friends to ask.

Last edited:
Any plans for independent testing of your fins alongside others?

I'd be happy to act as an impartial tester. Send me a set and I'll put them through their paces.

MaxAir Fin Testing Process

Any plans for independent testing of your fins alongside others?

Of course we would like to do independent testing but that will likely have to wait until after the crowdfunding effort. That will enable us to manufacture "real" fins which could be tested without supervision.

We have done extensive in-house testing using probably the only truly objective process in existence at this point. The major barrier to independent testing at this point is the lack of sufficient fins to put them out in the wild. Each of the 80 prototypes produced to date has been custom built using polyurethane plastic rather than the planned polypropylene, which is way more durable.

Here is a plot of the performance curve for one of those tests.
FIN Air Use Chart.jpg

While it is affordable (about $500 a pair) to make prototypes with polyurethane there are two major drawbacks. Polyurethane is relatively brittle and prone to warpage when heated or left in a stressed condition. These two properties make it virtually impossible to let the fins out of company control for testing since most people do not understand these limitations. Manufacturing out of polypropylene requires about $150,000 in molds making it impossible to do that for prototypes.

Go to www.tecreationdev.com/maxair-testing.php to see videos of the actual testing.

We will have more testing before we launch the crowdfunding but the real fun it unboxing your own fins so sign up for our pre-crowdfunding list to make this happen sooner not later.

Last edited:
Please look at the previous post to understand why it is difficult to just send fins out for testing. Once we have manufactured the "real" version we will be able to send fins out for evaluation. That will be after we raise the capital to make the molds through crowdfunding. Help us get to that stage by showing your interest on our pre-crowdfunding list.

We are looking for some qualified testers in the Orlando FL area to help with the in-house testing.

We are looking for some qualified testers in the Orlando FL area to help with the in-house testing.
Loan a pair to Scuba Diving magazine to try out. I think they are near Orlando.

Yes, ScubaLab is in Winter Park FL. I have been one of their testers this year and I did take the MaxAir to the fin test. It was not on their official roster but when the testing was finished some of the testers tried them without putting them through all the paces. (At the end of an all day testing session we are all pretty tired.) In general the comments were that they are at least as good as the other fins tested. The thing to realize is the Scubalab testing of fins this year was strictly subjective. There were no tests performed which could have objective results. We will certainly submit fins to ScubaLab after the production version has been made.

Meanwhile, help us get to the production version by showing your interest in the MaxAir by signing up for our no obligation pre-crowdfunding list.

I'm in the Orlando area and would love to help. Currently using force fins. I'm curious has there been any testing against a current?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom