Seeking info on Deep Blue Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Blue dive op in Utila town went out of business in about August 2014. Good thing because they had bad air issues, as others noted seriously dangerous bad equipment, falling apart boats, and the list goes own. The location was taken over by Tex and his free dive operation. The resort side of Deep Blue continues to struggle on as far as I am told. At all costs do NOT go to this facility. There are too many awesome places on Utila to spend your money on a dangerous dive op. And yes, SEVERAL official reports were made to PADI to no avail. Some much so that myself and another instructor let our PADI status lapse as we just could not work under an organization that allowed operator to continue with such dangerous conditions that PADI had been notified about MULTIPLE times. For AI go to Utopia or Laguna Beach, top notch. For fun diving or dive training go to UDC, they are the absolute best! Utila is an awesome place if you pick the right ops!

Really sad story. We stayed at DB for 2 weeks of diving in 2009, totally loved it (except for the bugs, of course).

We almost booked there, until we read the TA most recent reviews and ran away fast. Sounds like a place in decline with messy management with the mom and son deal. We went with Utila Lodge based on the data we found and price point. I will post a trip report after we get back...wish I was there now.

I second the recommendation of Utila Lodge. Great people, nice place out over the water.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom