Red Filter for Hero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit confused about what you're asking, but it may be just faulty memory. The original housing for the 1st GoPro has a round front domed port that resulted in slightly blurry U/W video unless some adaptations were made or an aftermarket housing used. I seem to recall GoPro did eventually come out with a second housing that fixed the problem, but it was so long after many other fixes were marketed, that I didn't pay much attention. If I recall, it had a square front flat port. Which do you have?

Most of the fixes to the original round port housing resulted in a standard round threaded front port that would take any suitably sized photo filter, such as a URPro or similar red filter. If that's where your rig is, you just need to determine the diameter of the port threads and either buy a filter of that size, or a larger one and use a step-up adapter ring. There have been round threaded U/W filters of various diameters around since the film camera era, so you have some array of choices of size.

I don't recall what the external filter solution for the unmodified housing was, if any were ever offered. You can always cut a gel filter to size and stuff it inside the port if you like.

I don't recall what the external filter solution for the unmodified housing was, if any were ever offered. You can always cut a gel filter to size and stuff it inside the port if you like.

There were a few and probably there is still a couple (all internal), but it doesn't make any sense to filter the domed port, the out-of-focus issue of the original housing is considerable (see image below). That's why no manufacturer invested in making an external red filter for a camera that couldn't focus.

Screenshot from 2015-05-28 09:34:28.jpg

The "Dive Housing" (for the HERO2 and HERO1) fixed the issue but they now cost ~$100 for a new one (~$50 for a used one on eBay). I'd instead save the money and upgrade the camera - I'm usually disprove the 'replace for the new model every year' business model but between the HERO1 to the HERO4, it's been almost half a decade and a lot of improvements.

edit: found a "new" dive housing for $52 here ( GoPro Dive Housing | Chain Reaction Cycles ). I'm not familiar with this store.

Contact Joey at Scubatoys (877) 728-2243. They were involved with the GoPro system for some time and should be able to help you.

I have the original Hero and underwater housing but cannot find a red filter for it?

Anyone know somewhere to find one?

I did a review of the SRP GoPro BlurFix and Tray while back that may be helpful to you.
I still think that for the original HeroHD this was the best solution. I don't know if SRP still makes them, but you can start your search at their website.

If they can't help you, I still have all the pieces for the set up in the review.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/go...o-blurfix-tray-review.html?highlight=SRP+Tray

The hero 1 was so incredibly crappy.. I would not spend any money on it.. Get a newer 3 or 4 go pro or a chinese knock off.. but a hero 1 is crazy ..

I do not have the dome housing. this is the housing I have for my Hero. A much larger square up front than the hero3 and 4. but I cant find a filter for it
CAM_GpZDV-d01-il.jpg
They appear to be available at Amazon and a couple of the internet photo places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom