Dive boat capsizes, spills 9 divers - Victoria Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to see a pic of this boat loaded as well. Even at 24 feet it seems to me it would have been rather full. I have a 27 foot Boston whaler center console and with 6 people on it with gear it's a full boat. And I would not go out in it with that many people in 7 footers. Not on the great Lakes anyway. Idk much about sea conditions on the open ocean or whether or not there is any difference in wave frequency. But here on lake Ontario 7 foot waves generally come one after the other and it's not likely you will see any boats out on that. Maybe if your in the 30 plus foot range but no way anything under that.

Agreed. We routinely use a 28' boston whaler, with twin 300's when going out deep on the ocean. 10 people in that would be a real full boat. It might be at the rated limit for people and weight, but it would be crowded even without dive gear for everyone. I'm not sure about the rules in Canada, but here to do that you need at least a 6 pack license, and in that situation, a larger license than that. That also means an auto deploying life raft for anything over 6 people. Was a liferaft involved in this accident?

---------- Post added November 17th, 2015 at 08:50 AM ----------

I'd like to see a pic of this boat loaded as well. Even at 24 feet it seems to me it would have been rather full. I have a 27 foot Boston whaler center console and with 6 people on it with gear it's a full boat. And I would not go out in it with that many people in 7 footers. Not on the great Lakes anyway. Idk much about sea conditions on the open ocean or whether or not there is any difference in wave frequency. But here on lake Ontario 7 foot waves generally come one after the other and it's not likely you will see any boats out on that. Maybe if your in the 30 plus foot range but no way anything under that.

Agreed. We routinely use a 28' boston whaler, with twin 300's when going out deep on the ocean. 10 people in that would be a real full boat. It might be at the rated limit for people and weight, but it would be crowded even without dive gear for everyone. I'm not sure about the rules in Canada, but here to do that you need at least a 6 pack license, and in that situation, a larger license than that. That also means an auto deploying life raft for anything over 6 people. Was a liferaft involved in this accident?

Their dive site says it's a 20 ft boat. The site is restricted, but got this from the preview...

Or this from Aqaurius Dive Club located in Victoria, British Columbia V8Y 3H2, Canada

Don we could both be right since boats can be measured at the waterline or overall. Usually both these number are part of the boat's registry.

This group did not set out in 7ft seas. They left the dive site after the sea state picked up. There is plenty of beam and freeboard for the amount of divers onboard.

Dave, any more details as to why the boat capsized?

Regards

Steve

Dave, any more details as to why the boat capsized?
I sounds like following seas and a boat well loaded with divers & gear could be enough really. People snicker because I wear a snorkel vest in Cozumel, but boats sink.

From a first hand report I heard they were in a following sea, leaving the dive area and after the third wave broke over the stern they were swamped. One diver donned gear and went into the overturned boat to retrieve a waterproof VHF radio in the cockpit and was able to call for help.
Pretty heroic if you ask me.

Yup I read that part, just asking if anything else came out or he heard anything more.

I'm surprised as that boat had a fairly large freeboard as Dave mentioned, way more then most that i have seen here on the island.

Regardless I'm just glad everyone was/is okay.

Regards

Steve

Their dive site says it's a 20 ft boat. The site is restricted, but got this from the preview...

Or this from Aqaurius Dive Club located in Victoria, British Columbia V8Y 3H2, Canada

Who are you going to trust? The internet or members of the club who have been on the boat?

All that really matters is the boat was of good size to handle the divers and their gear. I've been on it with 8 divers before and it's fine.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 01:04 AM ----------

To add on with what Dave said, I was a couple knots east of Race Rocks around 1pm and the conditions were excellent. It sound like they capsized around 1:50pm so the weather turned very quickly.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 01:07 AM ----------

Details from Royal Canadian Marine SAR:

FIRST HAND ACCOUNT OF DIVERS RESCUED AND DIVE BOAT RETRIEVED!
Dive Boat of 9 Rescued Divers retrieved! Mercury Marine Dealer, Milton, towed it in. Discovered North of Albert Head. It is approximately 20 feet long.
First hand account from Divers rescued from Race Rocks November 15th, 2015
Nine experienced Divers (all members of the same diving club)departed Pedder Bay in calm seas, heading to Race Rocks for an afternoon diving excursion. When arriving at Race Rocks there was an abrupt shift in the weather. They suddenly found themselves in 5-10 FT waves and heavy winds. They quickly made a decision to abort the diving excursion and either head to a safe cove to play or terminate the excursion altogether.
They proceeded to begin the journey back to safe waters and within seconds they were hit by 3 rolling waves. With each wave, the 24FT Vessel took on more water. By the time the 3rd wave struck, the water shifted to one side of the Vessel along with their diving gear, and in a split second the Vessel capsized and the 9 Divers found themselves in the water. 8 of the 9 Divers were wearing wet or dry suits. The exception was the person at the Helm, as he was not intending to Dive that day. The group immediately took action and hoisted the Helmsman onto the capsized vessel to get him out of the cold water. They began watching and hoping for a Vessel to pass by. Their gear was now on the bottom of the Ocean bed along with their mobile phones. The decision was then made to put 4 more of the Divers on top of the capsized Vessel. One of the Divers had purchased a marine radio only 2 weeks ago. A decision was made to use what gear they had salvaged and send a Diver under the capsized Vessel in the hope that the gear bag that contained the marine radio was still secure to the Vessel. This miraculously turned out to be the case. The radio was brought to the surface and a Mayday Call was made to JRCC and 2 Units from The Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue Stations 35 Victoria and 37 Sooke were dispatched to the scene.
The Divers then saw a Spring Tide Whale Watching Vessel that was in the area, that spotted them and appeared to be heading their way. To their dismay the Vessel changed direction. They were unaware that the Captain of the whale watching boat was heading to a dock at Race Rocks to unload his passengers to return to the scene with the intention of rescuing the 9 Divers.
When he arrived back at the scene both RCM-SAR 35 & 37 had arrived on scene. You can imagine the sheer joy and relief that was experienced by the Divers of the Vessels that assistance had arrived to retrieve them from the cold water! They were safey transported to land by RCM-SAR 35 Victoria who had retrieved 4 of the divers and RCM-SAR 37 who had the remaining 5 Divers. EMR responders were waiting at Pedder Bay to assess their condition.
One person was transported to hospital with mild hypothermia and the remaining 8 were good to go home!
Divers recounted that the group remained in positive, jovial spirits throughout the ordeal. It was a great relief to them when they discovered the marine radio had not been lost at sea, as their normal routine after a day of diving was to head to the Pub until 8-9PM. Knowing that without the radio to make that call it would have been hours before anyone would have realized they were missing and they were uncertain if they would have lasted that long.
Great job by the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue crews from Victoria and Sooke who responded, along with a Spring Tide whale watching boat and other nearby vessels!
Interview by Jackie Cowan RCM-SAR 35 Media Liaison
Photo Creds MIke Graham Crew RCM-SAR 35

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 9.11.58 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-17 at 9.12.16 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-17 at 9.13.18 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-17 at 9.08.42 PM.jpg

Thanks, for the update, greatly appreciated and for the pic's, must have been a scary situation, guess that is a plug for a a nautilus life line.

Thanks so much for that. It shows the importance of working your way through a problem as a cohesive group. Well done to all.

Thanks, for the update, greatly appreciated and for the pic's, must have been a scary situation, guess that is a plug for a a nautilus life line.

Definitely. I went out and bought one today and I know a few of the guys from the boat are going to as well. The ads seems a little cliche asking "is your life worth $300", but it certainly is. We spend thousands on cameras and twin sets, why not spend $300 on something that can save your life?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom