Atomic Aquatics Subframe rust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aMc10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought an Atomic Aquatics Subframe mask a couple of months ago. Within a couple of dives, the corners of the metal insert started showing some surface rust. Nothing major, just about 3mm of rust right in the corners. There is also some visible along the edges of the insert where it meets the mask. I've now put 17 dives on it, and a small piece (about 1mm) of the rusty corner has just broken off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not sure how much I should be worried about it. If it's just cosmetic, it's no big deal, but I'm slightly concerned that it's rusting internally, and will eventually fall apart.

Should I be looking to return it, and / or put in a warranty claim?

Rust to the extent that a piece fell off in a few months? I don't think that should be possible unless you stored it in a salt spray test cabinet, then it's a maybe.

I'm smelling bootleg, definitely not normal, bring it back and make sure you get the replacement in factory packaging.

Assuming even modest attention to "maintenance" (e.g. a quick rinse and not stored wet) I wouldn't expect to see any rust. Agree with spectrum. Recommend going back to the source, but prepared for them to question your maintenance.

It came in an atomic aquatics box with appropriate labels - nothing to suggest it's not legit.

It's been rinsed in fresh water after every dive without fail.

I'll email DGX (where I purchased it from) and see what they say.

It came in an atomic aquatics box with appropriate labels - nothing to suggest it's not legit.

It's been rinsed in fresh water after every dive without fail.

I'll email DGX (where I purchased it from) and see what they say.

DGX will treat you right, trust me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom