Can't decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark_Lide

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, so I'm trying to decide what type of suit to get. I live in the southern US and will probably be diving mainly warm waters. I'm diving in the Red Sea now and I know a 3mm shorty is just a little warm for me right now. I have to flush it out every now and then to cool off. So I'm thinking a 2.5mm shorty and maybe a 5/4/3mm full suit for when it gets cooler. I want to have both because there is a place that I will be diving at home that has cold water year round. Thanks for any advice on the matter

Thanks
Mark

The 2.5mm shorty seems like the ticket for your warmer dives. As far as the cooler stuff you do what temperatures are we talking about? Perhaps go with just a 5 mil suit as opposed to the 5/4/3?

Another option is Lavacore, Sharkskin, or Thermocline.

You get the warmth at depth of neoprene due to no compression, but on the surface you get windproof which is great for boat rides. Also, it's not restricting as it's only 2mm thick, but can be warmer than a 5mm after it's compressed.

Have you seen any of these materials before?

Another option is Lavacore, Sharkskin, or Thermocline.

You get the warmth at depth of neoprene due to no compression, but on the surface you get windproof which is great for boat rides. Also, it's not restricting as it's only 2mm thick, but can be warmer than a 5mm after it's compressed.

Have you seen any of these materials before?

What do you recommend to replace a 5mm wetsuit?

What do you recommend to replace a 5mm wetsuit?

What are the depths you are going to? The Lavacore is the cheaper of the 3, and just uses a less expensive fleece. The Sharkskin and Thermocline are both excellent choices. One reason is they use a thicker and higher quality fleece that lasts longer and is also warmer. Remember, Shallow dives, the 5mm will be a warmer choice. If you are heading sub 80ft often, these alternatives are fantastic. Especially after 30+ dives as the normal neoprene suit will continue to compress and offer less warmth. You can also use these as a Base Layer for a drysuit, or even a wetsuit to get more warmth with a combination of layers.

Here is something posted by Awap about 10 years ago. His first equation on this was wrong, and he came back with a new one. Short Read 7mm at 4atm will be about 2.5mm of warmth due to compression:
I hate to resurect this just to admit I was wrong. But I was sitting in a rather slow meeting this AM and got to doodling and rethinking this. My logic works if you just have a chunck of neopreen and the volume of the bubbles is able to compress in all dimensions. But with the wetsuit, essentially all the compression must occur in the thickness dimension or the suit would have to shrink in length and width. So, at 4 ATM. that 7mm (1rubber + 6 N0 is going to have to absorb all the compression in the thickness dimension becomming a 1mm + .25 * 6mm or 2.5 mm suit. Brrrrr!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-119058.html

What are the depths you are going to? The Lavacore is the cheaper of the 3, and just uses a less expensive fleece. The Sharkskin and Thermocline are both excellent choices. One reason is they use a thicker and higher quality fleece that lasts longer and is also warmer. Remember, Shallow dives, the 5mm will be a warmer choice. If you are heading sub 80ft often, these alternatives are fantastic. Especially after 30+ dives as the normal neoprene suit will continue to compress and offer less warmth. You can also use these as a Base Layer for a drysuit, or even a wetsuit to get more warmth with a combination of layers.

Here is something posted by Awap about 10 years ago. His first equation on this was wrong, and he came back with a new one. Short Read 7mm at 4atm will be about 2.5mm of warmth due to compression:
I hate to resurect this just to admit I was wrong. But I was sitting in a rather slow meeting this AM and got to doodling and rethinking this. My logic works if you just have a chunck of neopreen and the volume of the bubbles is able to compress in all dimensions. But with the wetsuit, essentially all the compression must occur in the thickness dimension or the suit would have to shrink in length and width. So, at 4 ATM. that 7mm (1rubber + 6 N0 is going to have to absorb all the compression in the thickness dimension becomming a 1mm + .25 * 6mm or 2.5 mm suit. Brrrrr!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-119058.html
Of the existing hi tech fabric suits..like Sharkskin, Thermocline and others...is there one with both hi tech insulation, AND a slicker exterior for lower drag through the water? I have seen plenty of divers with fabric suits that literally balloon with the water flowing into them, and the drag they create is going to ruin the concept.

If you can find a hi tech fabric that glides well through the water, I would use it with one of these under it....and turn it on or off, or down, as needed throughout the dive.... Thermalution Heated Undersuit -70M (Shortsleeve)

If I see the right hi tech fabric, this WILL BE my next choice to replace both my wetsuit and my TLS350 dry suit.

Of the existing hi tech fabric suits..like Sharkskin, Thermocline and others...is there one with both hi tech insulation, AND a slicker exterior for lower drag through the water? I have seen plenty of divers with fabric suits that literally balloon with the water flowing into them, and the drag they create is going to ruin the concept.

If you can find a hi tech fabric that glides well through the water, I would use it with one of these under it....and turn it on or off, or down, as needed throughout the dive.... Thermalution Heated Undersuit -70M (Shortsleeve)

If I see the right hi tech fabric, this WILL BE my next choice to replace both my wetsuit and my TLS350 dry suit.

I think alot of that depends on the fit of the suit on the diver. I have used all three, and never had any extra drag or extra material. Have you seen this alot on this?

I would skip the shorty...My husband just uses a lavacore top with board shorts. He is warm like you and he hates pulling on a wetsuit 4 times a day. If it's really warm he will just use a rash guard and board shorts. I am always insanely jealous of him since getting ready requires minimal effort and I am always trying to tug on my 5mil and hooded vest. If you are worried about stingy things in the water they use soccer socks to protect their lower legs!! The only time he got sketchy about the board shorts is when we were diving on Manuk in Indo where the sea snakes are... Then he clipped his shorts closed! :D

Side note... he bought a 5mil and never ever uses it. If its really really cold (72) he will maybe wear a 3.

Have you seen this alot on this?
Many divers in Palm Beach dive with these.....and the looseness with attendant ballooning is commonplace...As you suggest, poor fitting might well be the issue.
For me to buy one, I'd want both perfect fit, AND a smoother rubbery type surface ( but without the air cells of neoprene and buoyancy nonsense I don't want to contend with).

Back
Top Bottom