DEMA Returns to New Orleans in 2020. Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been to New Orleans. Wonder if they'll let me book a room 5 years in advance! I'll be sure to get one of the higher floors though.

After the emptiest DEMA Show I have ever attended ( last week Orlando) , I would imagine that many exhibitors, forced to spend thousands on DEMA --- would love the ability to "Drink their sorrows away" each night at the much better Drinking venue of New Orleans! :)
They won't make any more connections than they would have in Orlando, but they won't care so much :)

Reactions: mdb
Is DEMA open to the public? I wouldn't mind doing a day trip over to NO if it is.

Is DEMA open to the public? I wouldn't mind doing a day trip over to NO if it is.

No, it is not open to the public. It is the only one that is a trade show rather than a consumer show.

No. But that's part of the problem. Major conventions like these, SHOT, SEMA, CES, etc. are designed for industry types to see what's on the horizon, network with other business, hold negotiations, have sales meetings, etc. However, an incredibly large number of "civilians" enter through whatever "nefarious" means, many take time time of sales people, wander around only looking for swag, etc. The industry-only conventions suffer greatly by the presence of non-industry types, and more and more, businesses are electing to forego conventions as they are simply a waste of time and money these days, as they are either lambasted for not taking the time to pander to every conference guest with a youtube channel wanting a key lanyard and a t-shirt, or they get no actual business done because they're busy handing out lanyards and t-shirts.

I'm excited to see where Deep 6 goes specifically because they are breaking this mold.

Reactions: mdb
No. But that's part of the problem. Major conventions like these, SHOT, SEMA, CES, etc. are designed for industry types to see what's on the horizon, network with other business, hold negotiations, have sales meetings, etc. However, an incredibly large number of "civilians" enter through whatever "nefarious" means, many take time time of sales people, wander around only looking for swag, etc. The industry-only conventions suffer greatly by the presence of non-industry types, and more and more, businesses are electing to forego conventions as they are simply a waste of time and money these days, as they are either lambasted for not taking the time to pander to every conference guest with a youtube channel wanting a key lanyard and a t-shirt, or they get no actual business done because they're busy handing out lanyards and t-shirts.

I'm excited to see where Deep 6 goes specifically because they are breaking this mold.

I was only interested in being able to see all the cool stuff in one place but now that I know they hand out free key chains I am going to start working on a nefarious way to gain entrance...possibly disguising myself as cousteau.

All you need to do is become a dive "professional" and you can get in. For me, it's just easier to sneak in.

All you need to do is become a dive "professional" and you can get in. For me, it's just easier to sneak in.

That might be a little too nefarious.

I did book two liveaboards while I was there. Chartered the entire boats. Gonna be fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom