Do we still burn our mask??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
uploadfromtaptalk1447171020116.jpg Hi everyone.... I bought my TUSA CEOS M212 around March this year. The LDS taught me to burn the lens from the inside to clean the silicone residue from the silicone skirt moulding during manufacturing process.

As I was looking at some site for tear drop low volume mask, I came across a site with this attachment that warn us not to burn the modern mask and not to use toothpaste to scrub the mask.

Anyone knows anything about this??

Yes, do as it says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone knows anything about this??

"Burning" tempered glass was always a crapshoot, since the glass is already pre-stressed by the tempering process. A flame could easily turn the lens into tiny glass bits.

Toothpaste might or might not be safe depending on how gritty it is. I've had good luck with it, but wouldn't guarantee it wouldn't cause problems for someone else.

I use mask cleaner to initially clean the mask and defog to defog it.

Regardless of what the warning says, I've never been able to get the silicone off using defog.

As with so many cover-their-butt cautions, the warning seems like overkill.

True, any coated lens is at risk if you scrub with abrasive, or burn.

But for traditional masks, I’ve had best luck with burning. Not worried about shattering because I keep the flame moving, and it doesn’t take long. Also have had success with Soft Scrub (or even non-gel toothpaste).

I also doubt their advice that baby shampoo or defog will be effective for the initial removal of release agents or stuff that builds up over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom