Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi aaen - Have seen the floating Sea Horse at Tyee over a few years now. Did the Sea Horse (and now sorb keg) have some sort of practical use as a marker - or was/is it a form of artistic expression? Just curious.

Originally I have no clue why it was out in there or by whom. Presume It was tossed in for fun?

When we do extended dives to Dolphin or to the south at 150 or deeper and back we used it as a navigation aid when coming back at 60 feet as there are basically three chutes in a row that all look the same especially in bad visibility. When we saw the sea horse you went up that chute hit the top did your deco stops then went to shore. It's different if your just on a single tank and you don't go to far away as you can find the right chute easily as you never get to far away from the entry point, we were/are sometimes swimming btw 1/2 to 1km away from the entry point.

I've yet to go change it out to chain yet though. Might happen here tonight, will see though.

Regards

Steve

---------- Post added October 27th, 2015 at 01:39 PM ----------

Oh and visibility at wall beach was horrible on Sunday, maybe 5-10 feet. I've yet to dive this site with good visibility in over 6 years.

Regards

Steve

I did a night dive at Dolphin last Thursday. Overall vis was good, without too much crap in the water.

Divegoose

---------- Post added November 1st, 2015 at 08:26 AM ----------

Hi aaen - Have seen the floating Sea Horse at Tyee over a few years now. Did the Sea Horse (and now sorb keg) have some sort of practical use as a marker - or was/is it a form of artistic expression? Just curious.

I believe the Sea Horse was put in by a group called the CIA - or Central Island Aquaholics. It was put in for fun - we could tell people who had never been at the site before to "watch out" for the giant sea horse that inhabited the local waters. Unfortunately the CIA doesn't exist anymore - the driving force behind it retired and moved south to warmer climes. Just a couple of us now who try to dive on a weekly basis.

Divegoose

I did a night dive at Dolphin last Thursday. Overall vis was good, without too much crap in the water.

Divegoose

---------- Post added November 1st, 2015 at 08:26 AM ----------

I believe the Sea Horse was put in by a group called the CIA - or Central Island Aquaholics. It was put in for fun - we could tell people who had never been at the site before to "watch out" for the giant sea horse that inhabited the local waters. Unfortunately the CIA doesn't exist anymore - the driving force behind it retired and moved south to warmer climes. Just a couple of us now who try to dive on a weekly basis.

Divegoose

The sea horses were a good idea. I usually oppose junk at dive sites but they serve a purpose.

Most of our dive sites are littered in junk. The one common thing I have seen at every dive site I have ever been at is golfballs, I really don't understand the point in people driving golfballs out into the ocean. Are they trying to be Kramer and get a hole in one?

Sadly, I wish I had sea horses to put back in at Tyee. I have often thought the giant ROnald McDonalds would have made a good dive site marker as well.

Dove at Dolphin today on a high slack. We estimated the vis at 50 - 75 feet, getting better as we went deeper. :d

No cuurent and no wind. Even hit the exit point dead on :cool3: One of the best dives I have ever done at Dolphin.

Divegoose

Dove Finn Beach to Clark rock today in Nanaimo just about 120mins round trip with a few stops at my favorite pinnacles. Well I'm almost to Clark rock, guessing 200m's shy. I'm having a wee by of trouble hooking the end of pipers to Clark rock damn sonar scan shows a wall, it's obviously wrong :( or it's deeper then 80 feet. Anyways I'll get it tied together here before I go back to work.

Oh yeah vis was amazing, roughly 40-50 feet, I even had my seal buddy come back and visit me on this trip. This time I have it on video on the GoPro, sadly it was just a swim by with a smile from him and a wave from me. Like two ships passing in the dark.

Regards

Steve

And here I am in Vancouver getting ready for meetings in the morning. You guys keep the vis reports coming in. I'm dry docked at least until December with work and the drysuit heading in for servicing!!

Regards

Steve

Back
Top Bottom