MSY Seahorse- Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hcpuffer

New
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are looking for good budget conscious liveaboard options in Raja Ampat for end of October 2015. I think the MSY Seahorse is the right pick based on timeframe & cost, but wondering if anyone has more info about this boat/operator or has other suggestions based on a great experience with a different Raja Ampat liveaboard.

It will be my first diving trip & first live aboard experience! Any info/suggestions are much appreciated!

There are a fair number of reviews of that boat on the forum. Have you done a search for "MSY Seahorse"?

no experience with MSY Seahorse but, if it is your first ever dive trip then, you don't need to worry about the vessel, you will be impressed anyway. focus on your gear and what to back. if you have all of your dive gear then make sure its in good condition, if you are renting anything from them, make sure its on the contract and whether they can or cant provide that.

remember, you are on a liveaboard to dive and have fun. don't waste your time exposing the ship flaws or criticizing the crew and the captain, its your money and your holiday. after this trip you will have some priorities and based on that you will make your future booking.

Wow, I disagree whole-heartedly although I know you are just expressing your opinion. I'm not passing any judgement on the Seahorse as I have no experience on it but I have been on enough LOB's to know that one trip on some of them is one trip too many and Extremely poor value for money. Again, I can not say whether the Seahorse is a fantastic boat, crappy boat or where it falls in between but it should make a difference even to someone with no LOB experience.

I went on the MSY Seahorse to Raja Ampat on a 11/12 day cruise in November 2014. It is a very good boat, certainly well above "budget" class. The accommodations are comfortable, crew very good and we had no problems. It is one of the highly recommended boats to go to RA and one of the reasons is their use of large and very convenient tender boats for the diving per se, much better than dinghies.

Another plus is that MSY Seahorse is one of the boats that allow passengers arriving early on the morning of the departure day to board the ship, access their cabin and get a bit of rest if required.

I dove a central Raja 11 night itinerary on the Seahorse in 2013 and though they were one of the pioneering boats in the region, they would not be my first recommendation for midrange boats. I would recommend Mermaid I or II if you can get space on them. Feel free to PM if you would like more info.

Thanks for the responses, those that have been on the boat. I am also considering this trip...

I have had several divers on the Seahorse with mixed reviews from both ends of the spectrum, the best to the worst. Seems it is each individual's specific experience. Also had some folks on the Pearl of Papua and they came back with decent reviews. I have some discounted deals on the Pearl for Oct 1-10, 2015 and Nov 19-29, 2015....30% off published rates.

My wife and I did a week long trip aboard the Seahorse to RA in 2011. I had no complaints. It was a great trip. A very comfortable boat at what is these days a reasonable live aboard price. Guides were good, a little too much baby sitting. Very good food.

does anybody have the email of Cici the crusie director of Seahorse? much appreciated.

i spent 8 days on board doing Cenderawasih. loved it. i have done Black Manta, Mermaid, Dewi, Pearl of Papua and yes.....WAOW. so i have seen the whole range. i would recomm 6 out the 7 mentioned boats.

Seahorse had only 5 when it is billed for 12 divers, perhaps that was the reason for the exclusivity on board. but nothing takes away the service and the equipment on board. i loved it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom