Recommended Dive Operators out of Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smiley61

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm going to be diving out of Sharm El Sheikh in a few weeks. This is a last minute decision and I won't have much time for research so any guidance would be appreciated.

I'm a reasonably experienced diver - 175 dives from ice to tropics, mountain lakes to Revillagigedo (Socorro) Islands and Philippines. Working on my DM locally.

Which dive operators are recommended in the Sharm area for daily dives? I'd rather not end up on a cattle boat with 30 other divers. How many boats do most of the outfits use, and are there any that use smaller boats?

I'm also planning to bring my own gear so I would rather not have to pay a mandatory equipment rental fee. I understand the need for the outfits to check out the divers before they take them to more sensitive sites, and am OK with that.

I'm hoping to do 3+ dives a day. What are my best options?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Jai Bar,

Sorry, I've updated my post to clarify.

I'm interested in daily diving, unless there is a liveaboard that I could dive off for just the three days I'll be there (unlikely, I suspect).

Thanks for your response.

Colona divers has some mini-safaris (3 days). I know clubs that have booked trips using Colona year after year. They are apparently happy with them because they keep going back. I have also been postings of pictures from club trips that included a praise and a thank you to the folks at Colona at the end.

I have no personal experience with them.

News update

The UK has halted all flights between Britain and Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt, saying there is a "significant possibility" an explosive device caused the Russian plane crash at the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

News updateThe UK has halted all flights between Britain and Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt, saying there is a "significant possibility" an explosive device caused the Russian plane crash at the weekend.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So what? People here still seem to be in denial that the Sinai peninsula is a terror haven in general and Daesh in particular. Many consider the southern area as safe.

Anyway, regarding the original question, for daily trips there is one important thing that many disregard or are not aware of: There are two kinds of Visas:

One that is valid for two weeks and allows you to visit coast area without ras mohammed. The full visa allows for all egypt.

Make sure you get the second type, a full Visa, like the ones issued at embassies. Don't know what they stamp you in airport, so check.

Where to go? Well, since there are chances of not many divers around, you may have the honor to go diving wherever you choose. I'd ask the boat skipper to spend the whole three days diving at Ras Mohammed. However, many tourist don't like diving the same site all the time, so maybe you can compromise some diving in thistlegorm, or wrecks of shab abu nuhas, dunraven etc. plenty to see in the area.

Tiran island has also fabulous sites, and you can go there also if you have the "light" Visa version, so that's your fallback plan in case you don't get a full visa.

Shore diving is nice, but not like it used to be two decades ago, because of heavy coast development. A one day tour to Nabeq is also a good . Good diving, bird watching, mangroves and dunes. I like the place a lot.

AND remember one thing: there are not many sites that can beat Ras Mohammad in any particular day, and none that beats it in a good day. I've seen one or two places here and there, and ras mo is top of the top stuff.

-

Last edited:
News update
The UK has halted all flights between Britain and Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt, saying there is a "significant possibility" an explosive device caused the Russian plane crash at the weekend.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To the OP,
The UK Foreign Office has updated its travel advice to don't go there unless for essential travel.

What this means in practical terms is that if you have a problem over there your diving insurance won't cover it. This would apply to UK policy holders assuming you went again the FCO advice.

Check the terms of your diving insurance before you get there.

As for operators I have used Aquarius and they were excellent except for one day. I would not use them again personally because of that 1 day but most people would like them I think.

For getting in more than 2 dives a day I think a bigger operator might suit you better (Emperor or Red Sea College for example) as 3/4 dives a day depend on the number of divers interested.

I'm Canadian, and Canada's Foreign Affairs dept. has the same restrict non-essential travel advisory for Egypt in general. However, it states that visitors to Sharm should only exercise a high degree of caution. What does this mean in reality? I'm not sure. Particularly with the thinking of some that a bomb was placed on the Russian aircraft in Sharm. Will have to think hard about this, and my wife and family may, understandably, not want me to go.

I just received a full visa from the Embassy of Egypt, so I should be fine with diving in any location.

Good news is my flights are fully refundable so I won't be out of pocket should I need to cancel my Sharm plans.

Thanks to all for their suggestions on dive operators.

I did check with DAN, with whom I have my dive insurance. They indicated that a travel advisory should not impact my dive-accident related insurance. I don't have regular travel insurance through them.

Or you could pack your BCs pockets with fish guts and hot dogs and go great white diving without a cage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom