Terrified.....airport closures due to volcano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Bali airport reopened this afternoon. Perhaps now terror and empathy can be expressed for those living within the evacuation zone near Rinjani who are potentially facing the loss of everything they have.

Bad move. Don't lie about illness or injury in order to make a travel insurance claim. You know why? The next time you go to book insurance, guess what shows up when they go to process your policy? A pre-existing medical condition.
I'm pretty sure it's a joke and obviously not taken seriously.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 07:12 AM ----------

Everyone on this forum is effectively giving the OP the same advice, albeit some being more blunt than others. Given the fact that most of us seemingly have expoentially more experience travelling in Indonesia, perhaps you should take note of what is being said? It's no use sticking your hands over your ears and going "lah lah lah! I can't hear you!" just because you don't like what people have to say. We've been to Indonesia, we know what it's like, and we know what kind of contingency plans should be in place. Going to a place like Indo without an emergency credit card is naive. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear that, but it is what it is.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 07:13 AM ----------

The Bali airport reopened this afternoon. Perhaps now terror and empathy can be expressed for those living within the evacuation zone near Rinjani who are potentially facing the loss of everything they have.
They are in my thoughts and prayers, it is easy to dwell on my own petty problems. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Last edited:
OP, if you refuse to take a credit card on the trip, at least get DAN dive insurance; it could save your butt.

I want to apologize for being so defensive, I know you are just offering advice and I may have taken it the wrong way. Fact is, I don't have resources that many others on this forum do but I do what I can with what I have.
Thank you, I never dive without Dan. And I don't "refuse" to take a credit card. I cannot get a credit card. Believe me, if I could, I would take one. I've never had a credit card and have done a lot of traveling throughout my life, I know Indo is a whole other beast and it would be very comforting to have one. Not that it's anyone's business but I have plenty of $$ on both my debit cards to cover an emergency.

OP, if you refuse to take a credit card on the trip, at least get DAN dive insurance; it could save your butt.

Make sure you change money if you make it to Indo. Many places are not taking USD anymore. CC or IR only.

Caligirl - is that a very recent thing? We have gone to indo every year for about 8 and have never had a problem even in remote areas (just fun with conversion rates).

But Cmneus - she brings up a good point to have rupiah on you. Since you don't have time in Bali you can use a money changer at the international terminal before you wander across the street to the domestic terminal. Not sure rates are good but it is an idea. Other idea buy a prepaid Visa card from your local supermarket. That way in a pinch you can use that and aren't carrying wads of cash around. Think they cost 3-4 dollars to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would not get to hung up on credit cards unless you've had credit issues with one in the past.

A trick I have to save on FOREX fee's is to prepay a few hundred on a no-forex credit card and use that to withdraw foreign funds. It's not a lot but every penny counts. In the US you have a LOT more options that the 2-3 cards we have in this regard.

As for a debit card, isn't it limited to the amount that can be withdrawn? And what if it doesn't work? You might get into a situation (either for flights or medical care) where you've got to pay big bucks right there and then even though you will be reimbursed by your insurance coverage later on.

I take VISA, MC, Amex and cash. Never needed any for an emergency, but should you-know-what hits the fan I'll be ready to deal with it. I also never use debit for security reasons, unless you have a card for a separate account just for travel, you are opening up your bank account to anyone with a card reader. I've had CC's spammed over the years but never had to pay a dime and a new card arrives a few days later. I've heard horror stories regarding spammed debit cards.

And one last thing, I use CC signup points bonus miles to pay for all our international travel up in the front of the airplane.:D

Last edited:
We are spending the night in Bali on the way there and on the way home, I'm too paranoid to schedule my international flights the same day as the domestic ones, so there should be plenty of time to change $. I'm not planning on carrying wads of cash...everything is already paid for except a few days of meals and of course, the unexpected.
I was planning on doing it in the airport right away when I arrive because I heard I'll get the best rate there....not sure if that's true but it'll be nice to get it taken care of right away.

Caligirl - is that a very recent thing? We have gone to indo every year for about 8 and have never had a problem even in remote areas (just fun with conversion rates).

But Cmneus - she brings up a good point to have rupiah on you. Since you don't have time in Bali you can use a money changer at the international terminal before you wander across the street to the domestic terminal. Not sure rates are good but it is an idea. Other idea buy a prepaid Visa card from your local supermarket. That way in a pinch you can use that and aren't carrying wads of cash around. Think they cost 3-4 dollars to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 10:33 AM ----------

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 10:39 AM ----------

I'm just wondering how the heck a post about hoping the airport reopens before I leave turned into this......

Last edited:

Yes, I want to say something changed in June or July. They are trying to build up the IR. I don't know specifics, so maybe someone can chime in. We always use IR there so it wasn't a problem for us. Also... for the OP make sure you bring new(2007+), unmarked USD bills for exchange. No tears etc. You will get a better rate with $100 bills.

Good to know, thanks for the info Caligirl!

I'm glad I have a day early... as it is my flight from SFO to Tokoyo is late and I will miss my connection to Jakarta... now it will cascade through and I'll hopefully I'll get to Ambon in time

I made all my flights to Jakarta by my chinny chin chin...even my luggage arrived!!! Now I get to relax and enjoy

Back
Top Bottom