Terrified.....airport closures due to volcano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You saying I didn't take my planning seriously.....who are you to say this? I read your comments again hoping I had misread them, but I just find them insulting. You can offer helpful advice without the condescending tone added. "You seem like you have no use for experts" and "you should take it seriously and arrange it seriously" and "Good luck if you have a serious medical problem."
How can you say these things to someone you don't even know?

I'm sorry you do not like my input, but i really am trying to be helpful.

Saying in the title of your OP that you are terrified is either silly hyperbole, or an actual statement of your attitude....and since you mentioned in again in the post I can only assume you are actually terrified.

In that OP you clearly did NOT know what your insurance covered.

I am suggesting that you can avoid this in the future by doing even more of what you are doing, which is to develop contingency plans. I am also suggesting that professional travel agents might be helpful, as opposed to random posters on an internet forum. You seem like you have great trust in social media and no use for experts. Good luck if you have a serious medical problem.

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 10:26 PM ----------

I've traveled my whole life without a credit card, if you think only people with a credit card can travel.....you have some misconceptions.

I wondered the same thing. How can you travel half way across the world without having a CC with a good sized credit line?

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 08:06 PM ----------

But... Good luck and have a great time!

Last edited:
I really hope it clears up for both of our sakes. Let's keep our fingers crossed....gutted would be an accurate word to describe how it would feel to miss the trip, even if I do get every penny back. That seems to be what a few other posters don't understand....so thank you for your kind words.

We are due to fly out from BNE -DPS next Saturday 14th. We join the boat (Mermaid II) the same day (usually we go the day before, but leave was tight).

I'm hoping it clears up by then, but if not then we have insurance. VA are refunding flights or crediting them back. The boat wont refund, but hopefully the insurance will cover the cost (minus our excess) .Yes we'll be gutted if we miss our trip, but there's nothing we can do and worrying about it isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. If DPS is closed, then an awful lot of folk will be in the same boat (pardon the pun :D)

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 10:34 PM ----------

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 10:35 PM ----------

Be a kind, compassionate person instead of judgmental bully.

Very interesting.....thank you! Back spasms...lol.....BTW, I did call to find out if my policy covered volcanos. Apparently volcanos fall under the "bad weather" area of the policy. Since it said nothing specifically about volcanos I wasn't so sure until I made the call. :)

Have you ever had back spasms? There's a first time for everything.

Anyway, FWIW, I am here in Bali on the east coast (one island west of Lombok) and we see no effect.

- Bill

Everyone on this forum is effectively giving the OP the same advice, albeit some being more blunt than others. Given the fact that most of us seemingly have expoentially more experience travelling in Indonesia, perhaps you should take note of what is being said? It's no use sticking your hands over your ears and going "lah lah lah! I can't hear you!" just because you don't like what people have to say. We've been to Indonesia, we know what it's like, and we know what kind of contingency plans should be in place. Going to a place like Indo without an emergency credit card is naive. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear that, but it is what it is.

Geez, lousy alternates. :wink:

Reactions: Heg
Geez, lousy alternates. :wink:
I'm considering putting some contingency plans into place. All the liveaboard boats out of Fiji are booked up , but land based could be an option. Rather that than no diving at all....

Have you ever had back spasms? There's a first time for everything.Anyway, FWIW, I am here in Bali on the east coast (one island west of Lombok) and we see no effect. - Bill
Bad move. Don't lie about illness or injury in order to make a travel insurance claim. You know why? The next time you go to book insurance, guess what shows up when they go to process your policy? A pre-existing medical condition.

Back
Top Bottom