Sidemount setup/bc that can support wetsuit/al80 and drysuit/steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's the only place in the area you'll be able to try a bunch of different rigs at the same time.

This is not true. We have Armadillos, SEAC, Hollis, Dive Rite, Razor, and more. I dive my rigs and use them during exploration in Florida and Mexico. I'm very familiar with them. And I won't push one rig over the other. If you want a rig I don't sell no problem. I'll let you know where you can get it at a good price..

guess the post should have said only place where you can demo rigs and purchase at the same location. My apologies. There are a few instructors that have multiple rigs for trial, just have to dig thru them individually

Pretty sure you won't find another shop that demos rigs they don't sell.

I sell two of the three I have available for students. If I can get them at a decent price I plan to pick up a couple more that I don't sell to offer students a bigger choice and opportunity to see what works for them. Also plan to build a couple this winter since the hardware to do it won't cost me anything. All I'll need to source is the bladders.

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2015 at 07:35 PM ----------

Some guys new sidemount book is going to help me do that.

I have 4 different rigs for students to demo, and each student gets a cold and warm water rig for my advanced courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, the Stealth will do all you need. I personally like the 2.0 that I have over the tec. I don't like the attached wing. Funny because at first I thought I would have the detached wing.

Edd's shop is always a great source of advice if you're planning on diving steel tanks sm all the time and want to semo some stuff. I will say that I felt as though the recommendations I received from his shop in regards to AL tanks wasn't the greatest. This was when I first learned sm, and therefore didn't know any better.

---------- Post added November 4th, 2015 at 08:39 PM ----------

xDeep Stealth 2.0 does all that. I've seen a guy diving dry with steels right next to a guy diving wet with AL80's.

I flip flop in my stealth all the time. I presonally love diving al80s other than less gas. If I just want to do a simple not too long dive, I just adjust my bungees from the way I set them for steels to how I set them for al80s and go dive.

Reku, I'm a Dive-Rite fan. The Nomad Sm meets my needs. I dove back mount for 25 years with twin OMS steel 98.s for last 10 in Great Lakes & St Lawrence River..
I switched to sidemount 2 yrs ago.
Sold my steels this year, just dive aluminums now (knee replacement).
A minor adjustment to the wing bungie was all that was needed for lighter tanks.

Mike D

Reku, I'm a Dive-Rite fan. The Nomad Sm meets my needs. I dove back mount for 25 years with twin OMS steel 98.s for last 10 in Great Lakes & St Lawrence River..
A minor adjustment to the wing bungie was all that was needed for lighter tanks.

Mike D

unrelated, but take no offense to this. You do know that AL80's don't actually save you any weight right? OMS 98's are 38lbs and neutral, Luxfer 80's are 32lbs and need 4.4lbs of lead to sink that you have to carry on a belt....

Mike D

Which Nomad SM system are you using?

The LTZ has 35lbs of lift (+ another 10 from optional duel bladder) so potentially 45lbs of lift.

Do you think that would be enough lift to dive hp100's (with a drysuit)?

You don't need a whole bunch of lift with steel tanks. 35 pounds of lift or so will be plenty. Door handles work great for steel tanks but suck for al80's unless you are putting weight on the tanks. I really don't think you will find any one sidemount rig to do both.

Well, there's quite a few rigs that work well with aluminum tanks AND have greater than 35lbs lift...

The biggest issue with larger buoyancy capacity sidemount rigs is how/where the gas is distributed on the back.

Diamond/triangle shaped wings tend to 'beach ball' and raise the profile of the diver. Integrating a baffle system stops that, but also ultimately limits the lift.

Wings that use donut shaped bladders with buttplates tend to raise up the buttplates when inflated. This destroys cylinder trim. The bladder should NOT run under the buttplate.

The other problem with donut or horseshoe shaped wings is that they don't focus buoyancy at the diver's center of gravity... the lower back and hips... where cylinders are attached. This opposes natural diver trim. Bladders with significant wing buoyancy at the top of the wing can create a pendulum effect that drops your legs easily.

When BI dove the XDeep Stealth Tec, I found its triangle design gave intuitive diver trim, the bladder didn't 'beach ball' significantly... and it doesn't rely on a buttplate... making it equally suitable for aluminum or steel cylinders. And, of course, the lift is sufficient for virtually any dive or realistic number of cylinders.

---------- Post added November 6th, 2015 at 01:38 PM ----------

The LTZ has 35lbs of lift (+ another 10 from optional duel bladder) so potentially 45lbs of lift.

Redundant bladders don't exist to provide supplementary lift. Not ever... Tec #101

---------- Post added November 6th, 2015 at 01:47 PM ----------

Luxfer 80's are 32lbs and need 4.4lbs of lead to sink that you have to carry on a belt....

4.4lbs is the positive buoyancy of the cylinder, when EMPTY. We don't dive the cylinders to empty, right?

... and that's the cylinder w/valve. But we put a regulator onto each cylinder... and bands... which further reduces the positive buoyancy.

I account 2lbs per al80 when adding weight to my sidemount. Half that for al40s.

To solve weighting, I get my students neutral with no cylinders at 3-6m. That ensures accurate weighting for exposure protection and other kit carried. In a 3mm full suit, it's 2-4lbs normally. Then we add 2lbs per AL80 and 1lb per AL40...depending on the dive we're doing.

None of that goes on a weight belt..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom