Thoughts on Bounce Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been able to figure out who is who without names and enjoy what relative anonymity a screen name gives you from wantabes,scammers,weirdos and stalkers.Then again, Google Tony Hancock to find me.

BTT,I will train guys to dive the way I do and describe it in general but likewise don't want the thought of Darwin candidates on my conscience.
You guys are talking about longer dives,I am at the other end where the topic started.

In the UK, Tony Hancock was a famous comedian who committed suicide :)

It sounds like the "custom tables" that Dan is talking about are individually customized to the physiology of a specific individual. If so, than publishing them here would not be a good thing, for the reasons Dan mentioned above.

But something like this would, it seems to me, need to be validated, not by diving these tables, but by making specific dives and using doppler technology to ensure that microbubbles are not formed using these tables. Without some method of varifying these custom tables, the fact that the person is asymtomatic is not enough to validate these tables. Boulder John's comments should be taken to heart here, as being asymptomatic is not enough. Recent studies of even breath-hold divers (Ama) show that there are long-term effects of decompression sickness that may be asymptomatic.

Doppler detection in Ama divers of Japan. - PubMed - NCBI

Association of microparticles and neutrophil activation with decompression sickness. - PubMed - NCBI

Field validation of Tasmania's aquaculture industry bounce-diving schedules using Doppler analysis of decompression stress. - PubMed - NCBI

SeaRat

PS--I agree with Dan about using real names for these posts, and have done so from day one on ScubaBoard.

Thanks John,
And George, Bill and Dr Bill did a great deal of Doppler while they were developing the tables.
I even got into a couple of those doppler studies :)

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2015 at 03:30 PM ----------

Your dry suit comparison is very much a false analogy.

A custom dry suit uses very simple measurements of the human body to make a garment of the appropriate size. That process has not changed in however many hundreds and probably thousands of years people have been custom tailoring suits. It will not change much in the future. Once it is made, you can see and feel immediately the degree to which it fits. In contrast, you have no idea how well your custom tables fit you. All you know is that you didn't get bent. It is possible that you were very close on quite a few occasions, and it is possible that on those occasions an "off-the-rack" table would have done a far superior job. In fact, it is possible that the "off-the-rack" tables would have done a better job every single time. How would you know otherwise?
Thanks for being obnoxious beyond belief BoulderJohn.
And you don't know, what you don't know about how they made these tables. You don't have a clue. I would have thought your being aware Dr Bill Hamilton was a major part of making these tables, would have led you to believe great care was taken...but...eh...

Doppler studies were constantly done on George and several others on the team. George tested many variations of the deco curves, and this optimization led to world record deep cave records. When he did 280 feet for 6 hour duration ( for the 1st 3 mile world record dive he and JJ did... and then was able to do a 12 hour deco, and be without DCS, Navy Spec Warfare took this very seriously from then on.

The science was good, but it was also a "custom suit" concept, as it tested George and a small number of other divers with similarly high VO2 max scores, for bubbling after many types of profiles. Divers with normal VO2 max scores, would have been expected to have been seriously bent. It was believed then, and still by us now, that divers with the right physiology for these tables, would be SAFER doing the more rapid deco schedule in these tables.
It was also George's considered opinion, that on a short tech dives like the 280 foot Palm Beach tech dives--for 25 minute bottom time, that the smarter way to dive them was with just double 80's and a 30 foot O2 bottle....so currents and drag would be less of an issue...Carrying stage bottles meant moving slowly, and being unable to cover much ground on a great dive site. Your dive team ( 2 to 3 ) carried sufficient gas for one buddy to have a catastrophic gas loss and for all to make a safe deco ascent. Carrying MORE gas created larger dangers than it solved in the high current and high adventure sites we enjoyed covering lots of ground on.

Again...you are making me defend a position that has nothing to do with what the OP asked, and when you make pronouncements about HOW George and Bill and Bill made their tables, you are doing so with extreme ignorance.

Talk to someone else that enjoys your style of personality. I don't.

Last edited:
In the UK, Tony Hancock was a famous comedian who committed suicide :)
Handsome devil he was,it's confounded quite a few people looking for me.I use my name for business and finding my website can be tricky.

short tech dives like the 280 foot Palm Beach tech dives--for 25 minute bottom time, that the smarter way to dive them was with just double 80's and a 30 foot O2 bottle....so currents and drag would be less of an issue...Carrying stage bottles meant moving slowly, and being unable to cover much ground on a great dive site. Your dive team ( 2 to 3 ) carried sufficient gas for one buddy to have a catastrophic gas loss and for all to make a safe deco ascent. Carrying MORE gas created larger dangers than it solved in the high current and high adventure sites we enjoyed covering lots of ground on.

The Oscar Mayer Award for Top Baloney goes to Dan Volker today.

.5 SAC is less than 120cuft .6 is 140 .7 is 160. AL80x2=160cuft@3000psi 186@3500

Is my math wrong?I don't dive that deep regularly as I'd rather do less deco and see more areas but I don't see it as a huge issue.Especially if scootering.

I had a very big buddy get 3 dives a day off 2 sets of 2x4500psi HP120s.We'd do dive one,transfill to to set in his harness,do dive 2 on it then use the by then 3000~psi set for dive 3.

… All the fake names and , brand new posters, and pretend personas, might as well forget about being treated like real people :)

Which brings me to one of my rants about how scuba board should make all posters use real names...I am getting very sick of fake names with egos.

I've been able to figure out who is who without names and enjoy what relative anonymity a screen name gives you from wantabes,scammers,weirdos and stalkers...

I have thought long and hard about using my given name. I tried that once on an unrelated forum and got deluged by scammers and clueless dreamers — to say nothing of relentless SPAMMERS!

But in the end, I decided that my writings should stand on the technical merits and explanations alone. This is the Internet so don’t take my word for anything without justifications that withstand scrutiny and your personal relevance test. :no:

There are a few posters with screen names, that post like a real person....Akimbo is certainly one of these....and he presents like someone we have known for many years...
and then there are other posters, that say things and act in a manner that no real person would...but still they are allowed here. That is my rant. ..

... and then there are other posters, that say things and act in a manner that no real person would...but still they are allowed here. That is my rant. ..

True, but that is one of the good things about a large Internet Forum. It doesn't take long to get called out for incorrect, improperly applied, or purely self-aggrandizing statements.

IMHO, it is unwise to read only one post and accept it as fact anywhere. Nobody knows it all even when we honestly believe we have a full command of a subject. We have all seen attacks that were unjustified, but the community makes those corrections too. Unfortunately it requires that writers and readers make a greater investment in learning.

This does work against those that take offense to undeserved attacks on their credibility and respond in anger rather than as a “teaching moment”. But even that is soon defended when it is deserved.

Last edited:
There are a few posters with screen names, that post like a real person....Akimbo is certainly one of these....and he presents like someone we have known for many years...
and then there are other posters, that say things and act in a manner that no real person would...but still they are allowed here. That is my rant. ..

I suspect I'm known by my screen name by more people in the dive community than I would be by my real name. Seems like no matter where I travel, as soon as someone sees the markings on my gear they somehow know who I am ... even if I haven't introduced myself. That's how I've met a great many fellow SB members out in the real world.

I don't obsess about names ... I'll judge someone's posts by the quality of the information they provide ... and by the attitude they present when they provide it. On social forums ... just as in scuba diving ... attitude accounts for a great deal when it comes to deciding who I would want to listen to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom