Full Foot Fins for Warm Water Travel - Mares Superchannel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy2667

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I mostly travel within Asia (Philippines, Malaysia, Maldives, Indonesia...etc) for warm water diving. Have been using Mares Avanti Quattro as my fins and love it. I mainly do boat diving in warm water. Therefore, open heel fins may not be necessary. I heard that Full Foot fins could be more effective in transferring power, I want to buy a pari of good performance full foot fins to try. I mainly use frog kick for general gliding and occasionally use scissor kicks. When dealing with current, will use a combination of flutter kicks and scissor kicks. I want a light full foot fins that can handle current occasionally and yet is good for frog kicks and other kicks.

I have read some good comments on the Mares Superchannel FF fins. Are they a good choice for my application? With comparable performance to my Mares Avanti Quattro? Or the Mares Excel be a better choice? Or other FF fins?

Thanks

Last edited:
I take my superchannels ff for all my warm water dives. The foot pockets are soft and fit me very well. They are light and easy to travel with. I dive Quattro's for all my cold water dives. The superchannels don't have the same horsepower of the quattros but not totally lacking. So for me it's a little bit of a tradeoff, horsepower vs travel light.

I take my superchannels ff for all my warm water dives. The foot pockets are soft and fit me very well. They are light and easy to travel with. I dive Quattro's for all my cold water dives. The superchannels don't have the same horsepower of the quattros but not totally lacking. So for me it's a little bit of a tradeoff, horsepower vs travel light.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I will need to reconsider the need of an additional full foot fins bearing in mind that my existing open heel Avanti Quattro is perfectly fine with my diving. The difference in weight is only 0.6~0.8kg per pair of fins plus the boot which is light for my existing pair. This gain will scarify some power and hence ability in handling current. Maybe, not worthy.

A couple of years ago I bought these:

[h=1]Mares Avanti Quattro Power Full Foot Long Blade Fins[/h]
These are hands down the best fins I have ever owned. There are several inches longer than a standard scuba fin but not as long as a freedive fin. Nothing I have owned in the past compares. The only time I take open heel fins on a trip now is if there is a lot of shore diving and I need booties to wear in and out of the water.

My wife and I have used the superchannels as our travel fins for the past five or six years. They are very light and provide good power and control. Also, they are inexpensive. I wish mine were a little shorter so they would fit in my luggage a little better but hers fit well. They were a good purchase and I would get them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom