Roll Cal for Coz in mid November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmspdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to Coz on November 14th (solo) for the express purpose of cramming as many dives as possible into 5 days. I will be staying at Villa Blanca and diving with Papa Hogs. I need to log dives to reach the minimums for a DM rating, so I plan on 2 morning boat dives, 2 afternoon shore dives and maybe a few night dives ($$ and ND limits not withstanding). Any one else going to be there, and in need of a dive buddy (boat or shore dives). I am a PADI Rescue Diver/w NITROX certifications. Also any input on Papa Hogs and Villa Blanca is welcome FYI-I have a Superior room booked as part of the PH package. :snorkels: Thanks.

Terry

wmspdi:
I am going to Coz on November 14th (solo) for the express purpose of cramming as many dives as possible into 4 days. I will be staying at Villa Blanca and diving with Papa Hogs. I need to log dives to reach the minimums for a DM rating, so I plan on 2 morning boat dives, 2 afternoon shore dives and maybe a few night dives ($$ and ND limits not withstanding). Any one else going to be there, and in need of a dive buddy (boat or shore dives). I am a PADI Rescue Diver/w NITROX certifications. Also any input on Papa Hogs and Villa Blanca is welcome FYI-I have a Superior room booked as part of the PH package. :snorkels: Thanks.

Terry

Take your time getting your DM rating and don't kill yourself cramming in as many dives in as short a period of time just so you can meet the minimum requirements.

It's not a race and all of the certifications in the world do not make you a better diver or an advanced diver...only time and experience in the water can do this.

With regards to your other questions, VillaBlanca is your standard budget hotel. Don't expect a fancy room just because you got the "superior room." It's clean and very convenient to your dive shop.

Papa Hogs is a well established and very well respected operator on the island.

Have fun and be safe.

Christi:
Take your time getting your DM rating and don't kill yourself cramming in as many dives in as short a period of time just so you can meet the minimum requirements.

It's not a race and all of the certifications in the world do not make you a better diver or an advanced diver...only time and experience in the water can do this.

With regards to your other questions, VillaBlanca is your standard budget hotel. Don't expect a fancy room just because you got the "superior room." It's clean and very convenient to your dive shop.

Papa Hogs is a well established and very well respected operator on the island.

Have fun and be safe.

It's not a race, but my LDS only seems to offer the DM course once per year, and they run it as a year long course. I don't want to miss the next class again. My LDS doesn't seem interested in a DM cadidate unless they have close to 50-60 dives when they start. It may be because they use their DM candidates to help with OW classes.

Anyway since we are going into winter here in NE Ohio (I dive wet) and my next warm wx vacation isn't until January (Jamaica) I want to log as many dives as safely possible on this trip. Besides since I am going alone I won't have time to be bored. Yes I am one of those people who needs to be doing things... can't just lay around.

When I go to Jamaica I do the "All Inclusives" like Couples, Superclubs, Sandles... I don't need fancy on this trip so if it is clean and everything works (water, power...) I'll be happy. Sometimes I don't even get that at the big $$$ resorts. Thanks for the reply.

HMM only offer the course once a year. OK
my .02
Find a lds that teaches open water every month so you can learn how to interact with students. Pay atteion to the DM's in Coz they have to deal with pains all day long well train to no trained you can learn alot from them.
If my Schedule allows I may be there around the same time I,ll PM if it comes togther, :dazzler1:

wmspdi:
It's not a race, but my LDS only seems to offer the DM course once per year, and they run it as a year long course. I don't want to miss the next class again. My LDS doesn't seem interested in a DM cadidate unless they have close to 50-60 dives when they start. It may be because they use their DM candidates to help with OW classes.

Anyway since we are going into winter here in NE Ohio (I dive wet) and my next warm wx vacation isn't until January (Jamaica) I want to log as many dives as safely possible on this trip. Besides since I am going alone I won't have time to be bored. Yes I am one of those people who needs to be doing things... can't just lay around.

When I go to Jamaica I do the "All Inclusives" like Couples, Superclubs, Sandles... I don't need fancy on this trip so if it is clean and everything works (water, power...) I'll be happy. Sometimes I don't even get that at the big $$$ resorts. Thanks for the reply.

That makes alot more sense now :)

Best of luck with your course and have fun on your trip!

Be safe!

It's a long shot for us but maybe. I do have that week off and we have talked about it but the funds might not make it after our trip to roatan in Oct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom