PADI Deep Dive certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sipadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm a Padi rescue diver and I'm training to do my DM course currently. I've also done a Nitrox Padi cert.

I'm just wondering whether I should complete a PADI Deep dive course to get the cert.

I have dived to 40M before. And can handle it well.

I'm just thinking for insurance or for work purposes whether a deep dive cert would be beneficial.

I did my deep diver course this year and found it very rewarding. More knowledge the better in my opinion!

I'm just thinking for insurance or for work purposes whether a deep dive cert would be beneficial.

For me - I would make a phone call to the insurance company and ask - that way there is no confusion. In the states - DAN insurance is all I need.

Not sure what work purposes means for you - are you diving for compensation or are you a DM / Instructor?

Updated - completely glossed over you are entering DM - disregard...

Last edited:
When I train a DM, one of the first things I look at is the log book. How much REAL world experience do they have in REAL world conditions that they might be working in. Wreck dives are very popular. Wrecks need to be put in water deep enough to keep them from being rolled around and broken up, they can also have currents and low viz., they might have cold water. I also look at the fitness level. remember, as a DM. you'll be expected to see problems before they happen and take care of business when the SHTF. Anything lacking and I'll point out areas that need to be worked on BEFORE they sign up for class. DM. is a big investment in time and money, set yourself up for success. If you decide you need more experience for deep diving, look at an area where they do a lot of deep stuff and find an instructor that has the real life experience to back up that card he has. Side Note: not too impressed with DMs that can't find the boat. If that's a weak point, fix it. You look bad, the Captain looks bad and the shop looks bad. This all adds up to fewer and fewer calls for trips. Remember, this isn't a high paying job to start, you don't want to miss ANY calls. Good Luck and Semper Paratus

Going to 40m and successfully avoiding disaster isn't really the same as doing a course. :) For work purposes, and also life purposes, it would be beneficial.

In my DM course, they just replaced the "deep dive scenario" with the full course. Maybe your people can cut you a deal?

You will have to do the Deep Dive Scenario regardless.

What do you intend to do with your DM certification? Assist with teaching? If so, find out at the place where you intend to assist, what their requirements are for their DMs.

In our case, DMs do not assist in classes that they have not taken themselves. Our take is that it is very beneficial that they understand what the students are going through by having done it themselves. We feel they are best able to help the students in that case.

its worth it. if you intend to become a DM you need to have "Logged at least 60 scuba dives including experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation." You will either need to have the deep cert, or particiapte in a deep scenario dive. Ditto for search and recovery. And agreed - some operators/instructors want DMs to hold the certs they are DMing specialties for (wreck, deep, night, etc.)

To become a DM you need to fulfill a number of requirements. Those should be listed in the PADI standards. Having a Deep Dive certification should be one of those requirements. It´s not enough to have logged several +18 meters depth dives, you should have the cert.

I coincidently had done Deep prior to DM. Was a good course. I would think it best to have the cert. if you plan to DM on charters that often do dives below 100' (30m). Ironically, I only assist with OW courses and rarely go that deep on charters as a customer. But I would want to have the cert. if I even did one deep charter as a DM. Have always wondered what qualified a DM to take divers below 100' if the didn't have the cert. and before the Deep scenario was a DM course requirement. They still did it.

To become a DM you need to fulfill a number of requirements. Those should be listed in the PADI standards. Having a Deep Dive certification should be one of those requirements. It´s not enough to have logged several +18 meters depth dives, you should have the cert.

It should be perhaps, but it's not (not for PADI, anyway). Just a "deep dive scenario", which is described in the instructor manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom