Regulator choice for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, a lot of guys use trim weights on their shoulders and the heavy first stages help to minimize that need

That's what I thought, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The D3 has a form factor more similar to the MK25/pistons. Pros and cons with them. The other advantage of the turrets, especially the Hog D1, Apeks DST, etc is that they weigh quite a bit so help with trim vs the really light first stages. I notice a significant trim advantage diving Hog D1's than with the Poseidon first stages.

That said, I think a 5 port turret is the most versatile first stage providing the best hose routing for both single and twin backmount diving, and for sidemount the turret has some other advantages. For cold salty stuff, I'd still choose D3 over the MK25, but I would wait for the Deep 6 gear to be released at DEMA before purchasing.

While it is similar to the MK25, the DIN connection is not as far offset from the center of the body as the MK25. It's enough of a difference to not be as much of an issue. The weight of that particular 1st stage is not exclusive to just turret style 1st stages. I have both fixed and turret 1st stages and my fixed 1st stages are actually heavier than the turrets.

I'm actually not a fan of the 5th port on regs for sidemount. While I think they are a great idea for backmount, when used in sidemount the limit the way the cylinders can be positioned and also make pushing a cylinder our in front more difficult when used with shorter LP hoses. It also stresses the inner o ring on the LP hose because of the angle it comes onto the schrader valve and shortens the life of the hose. Sure the o ring can be changed but it's a pain and I'd rather spend the money on a new hose than waist my time trying to pull out the old o ring and insert a new one. Or just use a slightly longer LP hose so that the inner o ring is not stressed as much and the hose lasts 3-4 times longer.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2015 at 09:09 PM ----------

If you use a long hose on the right hand tank, a turret on the first stage makes hose routing more manageable.

How is it less manageable without a turrest?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom