How flexible should you be in a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It is very hard for me to move in my drysuit. It is a Bare crushed neoprene. My underwear is also a little tight too.

I plan to first replace my underwear to something that lets me move better.

But what about my drysuit? How flexible in the high loft underwear should it be?

To the OP,

What kind of movement do you find difficult?

The DUI website has a section called Fit matters (Why a fit matters on your drysuit)

"Try on the drysuit with the thickest undergarments you plan on using, then put yourself through a series of range-of-motion tests. Sit, squat, bend your knees as if putting on fins, roll up in a ball and reach one arm across to the other arm. These motions are all important to your ability to function under water. It is better to have a suit that is a bit too large than one that restricts movement"

What happens if you try the above?

Flexibility and moveability is key no matter the type of exposure used.

Can you reach your valves without a struggle? If not, then it's not just an inconvenience, it's a real safety issue. This holds true even if you're diving a recreational single tank setup. You wouldn't want to find out the hard way that some well-meaning individual had inadvertently shut your valve off, or that you'd forgotten to open it, and then not be able to quickly rectify the situation. If you can't reach the valve comfortably, it might be time to look for a larger suit.

It is very hard for me to move in my drysuit. It is a Bare crushed neoprene. My underwear is also a little tight too.

I plan to first replace my underwear to something that lets me move better.

But what about my drysuit? How flexible in the high loft underwear should it be?

You should be able to put one hand behind your neck and grab it with the other from behind your back in between your shoulder blades. If you have a shoulder injury, it would be acceptable to not be able to achieve this simple flexibility test.

The big tip I found was to get on your knees, and then sit on your feet so you're "rocked backwards." Then, reach your arms straight up. This should be unconstrained.....or mostly unconstrained, like a touch of pull at full-flex is probably okay.

My biggest problem is it is hard to put my fins on. I can do it, but it is a struggle.
This would indicate to me that you are shore diving.

As you get in the water it will start squeezing your legs. If you don't pay attention, they can get squeezed in a matter that the suit restricts your movement of your legs. make sure to pay attention and move your legs wide apart as the squeeze is just starting. get the suit in a position that it is easier to get your foot up.

Once in the water, if you can't access your foot, lay on your back and add air to the suit. get some air down in those legs and gain mobility before trying to put your fins on.

This would indicate to me that you are shore diving.

As you get in the water it will start squeezing your legs. If you don't pay attention, they can get squeezed in a matter that the suit restricts your movement of your legs. make sure to pay attention and move your legs wide apart as the squeeze is just starting. get the suit in a position that it is easier to get your foot up.

Once in the water, if you can't access your foot, lay on your back and add air to the suit. get some air down in those legs and gain mobility before trying to put your fins on.

Even boat diving, I need help with my fins, otherwise it is like doing a heavy workout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom