Cozumel Favorites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What cheese dip? I don't think I've seen it on the menu.
The cheese sauce/dip that comes with the chips they put on the table. I put that stuff on everything there. And they're very stingy about giving it to you para llevar. You only get a thimble sized container when you ask for it!

The cheese sauce/dip that comes with the chips they put on the table. I put that stuff on everything there. And they're very stingy about giving it to you para llevar. You only get a thimble sized container when you ask for it!

He is having a go at you. You and everyone else thinks there is cheese in it, but surprisingly there is not. Supposedly the recipe is on the wall near the entrance. That stuff is tasty.

He is having a go at you. You and everyone else thinks there is cheese in it, but surprisingly there is not. Supposedly the recipe is on the wall near the entrance. That stuff is tasty.

I'll have to look for it next time I'm there. I'm very curious now what is in it if there's no cheese. Or do I not want to know?

I'll have to look for it next time I'm there. I'm very curious now what is in it if there's no cheese. Or do I not want to know?

Well I would not be suprised if Doc posts the real recipe, but here is one that someone recreated:

1) Soaked about 20 dried red chile de arbol peppers in 2 T. oil & 2 T.
jalapeno pepper juice** (the canned kind - I use the San Marcos brand)
for about 1 hour. I broke off the stems but left the chilis whole. Every
now & then, I would stir to just keep coating them.

2) Lifted the chilis out of the juice & threw them in my blender.

3) Coarsely chopped up two large gloves of elephant garlic

4) Poured about 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar into the blender

5) Hit "on" & let it grind until the chilis were chopped up.

6) Took out the middle of the cap and while the blender was running,
poured the leftover oil/jalapeno juice into the mixture. Then poured
just straight oil in. I didn't measure, but I was aiming for equal parts
of oil & vinegar.....so probably about 1/2 cup.

7) Kept pulsing until all the chilis were chopped.

It was the same color as the La Choza/La Candelas sauce so I was really
excited as I poured it out into my bowl. At the first taste....I
couldn't believe it. There was that delicious taste in my own kitchen.
Final note: I really like, I mean REALLY like, hot peppers. So.....you
may want to decrease the amount of peppers you throw in. Also, I could
taste the garlic alot. If you aren't particularly fond of either of
these flavors, you can experiment & add amounts to your own liking. But
the basic recipe is there. Now - go & enjoy!

The cheese sauce/dip that comes with the chips they put on the table.
Ah. No cheese in that. And before anyone starts, no mango either.
they're very stingy about giving it to you para llevar. You only get a thimble sized container when you ask for it!
They give you an amount similar to the amount of salsa you'd get from many other places. They do sell big bottles of it for those who want more, which might be why they've not very generous with it.
Supposedly the recipe is on the wall near the entrance.
I've decided that's pure folklore. I've looked and asked and found nothing. I think it comes from seeing the proverb painted on a ceiling beam which is located where several people report the "recipe" is. I've copied it down as "También los que tienen el sartén por el mángo se vayan al cielo". The proverb contains the word "mango" and translates to something like "even those who hold the frying pan by the handle will go to heaven"*. I think people see "mango" and think it's a recipe, then assume that since the salsa is yellow and mango flesh is yellow that it must be the salsa recipe.
Well I would not be suprised if Doc posts the real recipe
How I wish I could! The one you posted is the closest to a home recipe I've found.Since nearly the same salsa is served at La Candela and one or two other places, I've asked there as well. I always hear "chile de árbol, garlic, and oil". There must be at least some sort of liquid in it.*or something. A pan is usually "la sartén" and I'm not sure why there's an accent in "mángo". "La sartén por el mango" means something like "the upper hand", and that's "mango" and not "mángo", so I may be totally mistranslating it. It could mean something like "Those who have the upper hand go to heaven, too", but I suspect there's something punny going on with pans and proverbs.

---------- Post added October 11th, 2015 at 04:35 PM ----------

Dang! Editing appears to be impossible right now.I mistyped the proverb, which is "También los que tienen el sartén por el mángo se i'an al ciélo", which has one more unnecessary accent than I'd thought.

Wow!! Keep the information and recommendations coming. Wife and I are going to Cozumel for nine nights in June and are taking notes from this thread! :D

I was up around 30th and 3rd this morning and noticed that Chilangos was not only open, but packed and people lined up for takeout. They were there for the Sunday special:barbacoa. I had 2 tacos served with a fresh nopales salsa. YUM!

Well, we are going back soon for the first time in two years, approximately our 26th visit. Nice to hear about some of these newer places.

1) Guido's - much better when it was cheaper, but we always have to go.
2) Kinta - Try to offset costs by eating Churros off a cart for dinner
3) Kondesa - See above
4) La Cocay - sorry, preferred it back when it was in Corpus Christi with Robert (if I recall his name correctly)
5) Casa Mission - Yes, it's a very pleasant experience.
6) Pancho's Backyard - Overpriced and inconsistent, but wife loves the place.
7) El Moro - It hasn't been a secret in a long time.
8) Casa Denis - Maybe it is now just average, but back in the day, the same food was above average. I'll never say no to eating there.
9) La Choza - I always sweat like a pig. Maybe it's the soup :wink:

We will be walking distance to town this trip, so looking forward to hitting some new suggestions. Please share what you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom