Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOAA forecast is for 7' seas offshore by tomorrow night. Should still be OK for the bridge. Also, if the wind stays to the west, then maybe the surf close to shore will not get too stirred up to ruin the vis at the bridge. I think, tho, that Datura/LBTS will not be do-able if swell and rip currents start (as forecast).

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 06:06 PM ----------

Sounds like the vis was pretty grim last weekend. Are there any recent updates?

Saw this on facebook :)

"Conditions today courtesy of Force E: Viz is "back where it's supposed to be" 20-25ft, water temp holding in the mid-80's. Great news for heading into the weekend."

BHB viz today was 5-8 ft and by some estimates I am being generous! We still did an hour and 45 min in the water. One advantage of the short viz--I was nearly on top of a couple of garden eels before they saw me and ducked into their burrows. AND, I've never been closer to a sheepshead! A barracuda was real close too--so we now know, the fish can't see worth a crap either! IMG_0003-002.jpg

Last edited:
Today's viz at BHB was less than yesterday's according to the DiveDiva. less than 5 ft.

Wife and I made the trek down from Maryland last month to finally dive the BHB. Ended up only getting one dive in (on 9/23). Tried the next day but vis was such that you couldn't see your own fins :shocked2:

Anywhoo... we had a great tome on the first dive, and I cut the video I shot together finally. It may still be processing, but should eventually be available in 1080 on YouTube if it isn't already.

https://youtu.be/EpdVeipPGm0

Thanks to John from Pura Vida Divers for being an awesome guide!

Will the upcoming dredging near peanut island impact BHB viz? (Tide dependent of course) I'm trying out plan a trip in The next few weeks but it says a dredging project starts this week thru Jan? This latest viz is due to higher than average tide cycle right?

The poor vis isnt because of a higher than normal tide. Last week it was because of dumping low vis fresh water from the canals/lake okeechobee into the intracoastal. The bad vis now is a combination of that residual dirty water plus a ton of suspended silt from the long period swell (waves) out in the ocean outside of the inlet.

I dont know anything about the dredging but I could imagine that it could impact vis.

I have been planning a stop at BHB on Tuesday. I guess I will check back here for vis reports.

Did any of you dive BHB today Monday the 12th? Viz report please?

Couple reports from today I've seen on facebook:

Visibility at the Blue Heron Bridge hasn't seen much improvement last few days. Just horrible!

Conditions for this morning courtesy of Force E. They reported "not really any change from the weekend" which means things are still not so good."

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom