What do you consider "gimmick" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know there are many opinions about gear, what is needed what is not, what somebody just can't live without, while somebody else thinks that's silly, etc etc etc....

Some examples of gear I've seen mentioned as being gimmicky (not necessarily my opinion):
Spare airs
Split fins or other fins with gizmos like tension traps, whiskers, odd shapes, etc.
Expensive reg sets
Tank bangers
Ankle weights
Colors of any kind
Certain BC's
Certain models of drysuits
Sidemount
Consoles
Big snorkels with check valves and ball valves
Big giant knives strapped to legs
Hoseless wireless computers
Computers in masks
Computers in general

Anything else you think is gimmicky?

Half the items you mentioned are essential for various types of diving and most of the others have great benefit some of the time. That's as close as I will go to calling what most consider essential as gimmicky.

Your list looks pretty complete. You are clearly paying attention.

H2Odyssey TORID Pulse - bubble gun
Mares Hub bcd

I'm gonna go ahead and say that those fins that pivot upward so you can walk with them on a boat. I know a guy who wears them. I just kind of get this inner laugh when I see them. I try to not allow it to become an outer laugh.

Oh, and I think that i3 technology on BCDs is unfortunate.

But a lot of what other divers consider "gimmicky" - like 5280Steve mentioned - definitely have their place as legitimate improvements on previous or alternative technology.

Aqualung I3 or Mares Airtrim.

Back
Top Bottom