Which tanks in cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If however you're happy leaving the cylinders attached to your sides where they should be, then there is no advantage to Aluminium, so stick with Steel cylinders and enjoy the benefit of less personal weight needed.

Steel cylinders don't have the "freedom" thingy that you have with neutral tanks. It's much easier and nicer to play around with aluminium tanks than with steel, at least that's my experience on it.

Steel cylinders don't have the "freedom" thingy that you have with neutral tanks. It's much easier and nicer to play around with aluminium tanks than with steel, at least that's my experience on it.

Agreed, which is why what you quoted of mine began with "IF HOWEVER YOU'RE HAPPY LEAVING THE CYLINDERS ATTACHED"...... :D

I actually meant "with the cylinders attached". I didn't enjoy the feeling I had when using steel tanks as much as when diving al tanks. When going on my side, upside down or whatever, they'd tend to be annoying.

I actually meant "with the cylinders attached". I didn't enjoy the feeling I had when using steel tanks as much as when diving al tanks. When going on my side, upside down or whatever, they'd tend to be annoying.
My apologies, I didn't pick up on that, sorry. Yes the extra weight is definitely noticeable in the water, I like the feeling of Ali's, but the volume of gas I can take in the steels!

I use steel tanks for both warm and cold water.
Im a caver so I actually use both steel for primary tanks AL for deco / stage bottles.
I have used both in cold water as primary tanks you just have to mindful of where AL tanks become positive for you.
Ive had fun playing with them in the no - mount realm of diving you can really go through some tight places.
Im not advocating this form of diving unless your trained to deal with all the complications it can bring!

CamG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom