Sidemounters, where do you store your wet notes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

couple of options. You can remove the screws that hold the straps in and screw it straight to the slate.
You can zip tie it on both ends around the bungee slots and drill a couple holes in the top page and zip it in that way.you don't want it on normal bungee, not secure enough if you're on a DPV

I´m also interested how you mount that to the first page. Screws or just bungee on one end?

For the near side it's four holes drilled in to the slate then attached with two zip ties. For the away side, it's a bungee that goes thru all plates then the computer held on with two zip ties. Pics enclosed. Hopefully showing what I'm seeing and trying to describe. :)

computer 1.jpgcomputer 2.jpg

I store my wetnotes in the bum pouch, but that won't help you access any quicker.... you could always go for simple... and tuck the wetnotes behind the bungee across your chest that secures the wing to you? (if it's an Xdeep style wing), you can clip it with a Boltsnap to the bungee and tuck the wetnotes in the bungee to secure them and stop them floating about. Quick and easy to access, secure against loss. Simples.

IMHO, thigh pockets are entirely inappropriate for sidemount diving. There are a couple of known solutions for this;

1. Sidemount Butt Pocket. These are sold by a variety of sidemount manufacturers. They utilize the optimal space at the back of the sidemounter, clipping to rear D-rings via two double-ender boltsnaps. Good sidemount training courses include skills/drills to fetch the pocket, remove/replace necessary objects and return the pocket to it's proper location.

A LIST OF SIDEMOUNT POUCHES YOU CAN PURCHASE

2. Chest Mounted Suit Pocket. If you can put pockets on your thighs, you can put them elsewhere. Don your sidemount rig... see where you've got free space on your torso in an accessible location. Get a suitably sized, streamlined pocket fitted there.

3. Waterproof Notebook. Abandon the bulkier, traditional wetnotes and get a small-sized waterproof notebook. This can be stored in a flat pocket sewn onto an exposure suit arm or even tucked/clipped (small bolt-snap) beneath wrist slates etc. I used these when I was in the military (they were issued) and I had a small box of them for diving use over the last 10 years... they work great. I use them in conunction with wrist slates... I put my deco plans and contingencies on the slates (permanent - sharpie on duct tape)... and I use the small notebook for any recordings or messages I need to make on the dive. The notebook also allows me to tear off pages if I need to pass on a message (i.e. left on a guideline or sent up with a DSMB to surface support).

example: Silvine Waterproof Notebook

4. Cylinder Pocket. Use existing, or extra, cam bands on the cylinder to attach a belt-secured type pocket. The sort of pocket you'd normally fit to a harness 2" waist strap. FAR from optimal for technical/overhead diving, as per putting weights on your cylinders...but workable for recreational, open-water sidemount divers (who aren't 'beginning with the end in mind').

Last edited:
Get a 3" pvc and cut to length of forearm, then cut long ways same width as your computer and attatch computer to one side of PVC, get some window blinds and cut shorter size so computer is secure doesn't have to move, only blind flaps flip . Or mount one window blind to a tank with buggies. Grease pens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom