Do you remember what it felt like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We knew there were terrorists in the world; we heard about places like Beirut & Lebanon.

I know you probably meant no insult, but as a Lebanese person myself it kind of hurts that people still think of Lebanon like this. When that horrific terrorist act happened, I had my American childhood friend with me in Lebanon visiting. My partner now is American and my parent's best friend for 30+ years were Americans until they moved back to the USA before the Internet made it easier to stay in touch.

I still remember exactly when it happened, I was sitting on the sofa and my friend was fiddling with his laptop and suddenly while channel surfing every channel showed the WTC building on fire, then a few minutes later the next one hit and it was live. Needless to say were all numb and shocked!! FYI, our family residence in Lebanon is literally across the street from the American embassy and we ended up in lockdown (that whole area) for a good 24-48hrs.

Back to the quote: yes, there are people in my country that use people from my nationality (some are allegedly of fake passports) to commit such heinous crimes against what it is to be human. However, the vast majority of the Lebanese do not agree with them. And I stress on VAST.

I just want to clarify that the few do not in any way represent the whole!!

P.s. Not going into any sort of political debate here and now so if anyone feels like that please keep it to yourself :) but I just wanted to clarify that Lebanon is not what is implied in the above quote (even if unintentionally).

The only thing that suprised me was it took so long for the terrorists to actually succeed.
If I had to bet (back then), I would have said that they would have done something major in the mid to late 1990's.
They had tried to bring the towers down once before.

judging a country by how many terrorists it produces is like judging a person by how many cancer cells their body creates

also, remember: America's "war on terror" killed more people than the 9/11 terrorists ever did. hard to live with.

Back
Top Bottom