My Ear Doesn't Want Me to Be A Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OliviaRose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
**THIS IS A LONG POST**

Hello Divers!

I really need some advice on what to do about my left ear. I am a new diver with 15 logged dives and a few un-logged dives from before I got certified. I also work occasionally for a friend’s pool company doing very basic tests and repairs, checking for leaks, etc. I have been swimming and snorkeling all my life, and love the ocean more than words can express. Becoming a certified diver this year was and is one of the best things I have ever done in my life, and even though I’m still green, I truly love it and will be forever drawn to the seas.

I hope to continue my diving and pursue advanced training assoon as possible. I live in Boston, so that likely wouldn’t be until the spring although I’ve been considering taking a trip do to my Advanced Open Water in warm tropical waters (not sure where yet – suggestions are more than welcome).

Unfortunately, my left ear does not agree with my aspirations. The following is an abbreviated medical history:
1995: Tubes at age 8 due to chronic childhood ear infections; 1997-ish: Left tube becomes lodged in ear canal causing serious infection, has to be removed; 2002: 1st ear drum (left ear) perforation with vertigo while “freediving” in the BVI – I’d never heard of freediving back then, I was 15 and wanted to see something at the bottom of the reef. It was a fairly frightening experience but I didn’t seek any medical care at the time; 2009: First scuba dives in Vieques. The first two dives (30-35ft) were no problem and I absolutely LOVED IT. On the third dive, I perforated my left eardrum for the 2nd time at about 40ft; we were descending to 60ft. I was able to alert my instructor and make a controlled ascent – no vertigo. I saw my ENT upon return and he said it had healed without issue; 2010: 3rd small perforation in the left ear from a very shallow dive (no more than 5-7ft) in the USVI; 2015: Obtained OWD certification

*It should be noted that most of this happened before I had any knowledge of or training in diving whatsoever*

My pool training and certification dives went smoothly, despite very cold water temperatures (46-55 F). Shortly after, I had a 4th
perforation of the left ear while trying to descend on a shore dive in Mass. I only had a couple feet of water over my head when it popped.
My lifelong ENT retired shortly prior to this and my new doctor at the same practice told me it was a small tear, to let it heal, and refrain from any further diving until my trip to Hawaii about a month later as not to risk further injury and increase the chances of success on the trip. He also advised Sudafed before diving and not wearing a hood when possible.

Eight dives all over Hawaii went wonderfully, without a single problem. It was amazing and really helped build some confidence after having another rupture so soon after finishing my certification. I was able todive to 71 feet (my deepest dive so far) and would have loved to have gone deeper. I also had the joy of night diving with the manta rays, which was just unbelievable.

Upon my return, I went on a super fun boat dive with my dive center and reached about 65ft on both dives successfully – no issue until thesafety stop, when we were pulled down about 4ft by the surge and my ear burst very, very quickly. I almost had enough time to equalize before it was too late but second guessed myself as we were on the ascent and I hadn’t been looking at my depth gauge to see that we had been tugged down a bit. It was a big error on my part.

I realize how lucky I am not to have hole too big to closeup by now. The small tear is at the outer edge of the tympanic membrane and asof this week my ENT could still see a crust where it is healing. According to the doctor (and based on past experience) this is likely to keep happening and the eardrum is weaker. I have a small ear canal and the TM is very thin.

Oddly enough, the right ear has never had a single problem, only the left. It seems to be that once I make the descent past the first 30 feet or so, my ears actually adjust quite well. I don’t feel uncomfortable at all once I get past the big pressure change. The ONLY thing I want to do is keep diving once it is healed and the ENT has left that choice to me after advising me of the risks (mainly vertigo at depth – which I have never experienced and hope not to). Is there anything at all I can do to help reduce the risk of another perforation?

Sudafed, pre-equalizing, equalizing frequently, and tucking my chin has been helpful. I always descend feet-first. I try so hard to be exceptionally careful and it just keeps happening.

Has anyone on here had similar experiences and continued to dive successfully? Please help!

I had a medical question in regards to vertigo so I called DAN and had a great telephone experience with a wonderful lady on the other end that answered all my questions in great detail. I would not hesitate to call DAN again if need be.I can't give you any other advice except for that.DAN might just ease your mind.

My right ear has given me similar trouble (difficult to clear), but probably less severe (it's difficult to compare people's experiences /discomfort) You seem to know many of the tricks. I did bruise it one trip diving with a friend who erratically changed depth throughout the dive, and was constantly swimming off. Quit on the first day of a week long trip and abandoned him, and went on a road trip in PR (remained friends, but will never dive with him again). I was afraid I would not be able to dive again. (yes my balance was off for a day or two... but driving the car seemed fine : )

As you will hear, work with a Dr. with knowledge in this area. I got checked out and they found nothing unusual, he just said that the right Eustachian tube likely had a narrower passage than the left. Basically "clear early and often"!

I am now very diligent about consistent clearing, at 90+ dives. I use sudufed if I have ANY congestion what so ever, but have had trips where I didn't use it. It is usually the most difficult on the first dive, and I sometimes have to make the first decent fairly slowly, but after a few dives it works... but again I remain diligent (it's becomes subconscious).

"They" say you develop "muscle memory" (my term) with more experience, and have less problems; that appears to be the situation in my case.

Good luck, I got it to work for me.

Bob in CO

Hi OliviaRose,

It sounds like your ENT gave you a pretty solid answer already. You know your own ability to equalize; you'll have to weigh that against the possibility of further damage to the tympanic membrane, which you've fortunately avoided so far.

Best regards,
DDM

You may need to adapt.

Possibly you should consider learning to dive only in situations and with techniques that allow very careful and controllable ascents/descents. i.e. entries and exits along the bottom, or on a descent line, or in locations that provide a stable structure of some kind - especially near the surface where pressure differentials change most quickly.

By the same logic, avoid open water ascents, heavy surge, etc etc.

There are many such options. You would still be able to dive, but by avoiding certain circumstances, you may gain the ability to avoid risking another rupture.

As another comment, "how deep" you managed to go has very little to do with it. Don't focus on that. As you have experienced, the most drastic effects are the exponential pressure changes nearest the surface. If you can equalize well in the top fifteen feet, the achievement of any greater depths is a secondary consideration.

Back
Top Bottom