New to Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tuk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just moved from the Silicon Valley to Austin and am looking for a good shop (or shops) and some pointers on dive sites. Until my SO gets certified (I hope she ends up loving diving...), I may be in the market for some folks to go swimming with too. I managed to truck over everything but my tanks (still sitting at my old place 2/3 filled with EAN36). I dove with quite a few tech divers in India and would really like to find a place and some people who I can work with to expand more in that area.

Suggestions?

Also, hi.

First, welcome to Texas and the Austin area.

Don't know a thing about tech diving, but the first person I would get in touch with is Robert Weiss. Robert is a great guy and works with the local tech community diving in Lake Travis. Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

There are four shops in the greater Austin area. Tom's, Scubaland, Dive World and the Dive Shop (San Marcos). Personal favorite is Tom's. You also may want to check out Duggan Diving in Universal City (NE San Antonio). They host a couple tech dive trips a year.

Dive World on Hwy 620 is my shop. Great people and close to the lake. If your SO wants to check out diving then Dive World has an onsite pool for Discover Scuba and for the Confined Water lessons. Welcome to Austin. Contact John Lindsey at 512-219-1220 and tell him Dan sent you.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2015 at 11:23 PM ----------

Dive World on Hwy 620 is my shop. Great people and close to the lake. If your SO wants to check out diving then Dive World has an onsite pool for Discover Scuba and for the Confined Water lessons. Welcome to Austin. Contact John Lindsey at 512-219-1220 and tell him Dan sent you.

PS. We have Sidemount and Tech guys there also.

As an Austin diver, it's all about what you want/are looking for.

None of the shops locally really support tech diving. The closest would be Dive Shop San Marcos because they have o2 clean air(for a reasonable price) and a 25' fill whip so you don't have to remove your tanks from your car to get them filled(Doubles are heavy!). The tech diving locally is minimal unless you want to dive deep in a muddy hole like Lake Travis. Most tech divers tend to travel to Florida for caves/wrecks as there really is nothing publicly available in TX.

One of the local shops goes so far as to charge 20$ for an o2 clean air fill(per tank).

There is a decent GUE community in TX and we now have 2 GUE instructors. One here in Austin(See link to Sam Meacham above) and Jason Wright in Dallas. Definitely hit up Sam(as he is closer) for training. I can't recommend him highly enough.

I'm not great at responding to forums, so my apologies if anyone thinks I asked and ran.

I'm going to make a few stops at some LDS' this weekend, so all this information has been really helpful. Mostly I want to get a feel for the area and ask about the OW classes for my fiancée. The positive comments about Tom's and Dive World have put those two on the list.

That's great to know there's a GUE presence here. I've been meaning to spend some time looking closer at them, as there tends to be a decent number of good people going that route.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I would STEER CLEAR of Scubaland in Austin!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom