Why do DM in the first place? What are the rewards for work done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing my divemaster internship on the way to maybe some day doing my instructor course. Even if I don't do the instructors portion there are a few incentives for me to do the dive master course.

Since I am living next door to a dive shop in the caribbean doing a dive master internship is cheaper than paying to dive every day, and I will learn more. I'm a greater asset to my dive club when I go back to Canada. Because I live in hot countries during the winter (I have an intense allergy to all things snowy) being able to perhaps teach or lead dives for fun and a little extra money appeals to me, but I wouldn't bet my future on the ability. I also want the challenge physically and mentally.

Probably the number one reason is I love to dive, and I want to inspire others to dive.

If you don't feel any of the above, why bother?

I found DM to be rewarding in personal and social ways, helping others overcome their fears and grow in confidence as they learned.

A spin-off was being able to dive almost every weekend, and have many many pool hours, which helped me improve my own water skills and confidence enormously.

And at least my own case I was often able to go on dive boats "free" since a DM counted as a crewmember, not a seventh passenger, on a "six-pack" Captain's licence.

It's a fair question. Having worked in the TV industry for a long time, I know how commercial organisations adore using people's love of something (be it diving or film-making) as an excuse for not paying them properly, or indeed for not paying them at all. After all, if you really love it, you'll do it for nothing, right? Wrong. DMs will have invested considerable time, effort & money into gaining the level of skill needed to qualify. No-one should expect them to then make that qualification available for free. It's not "being unprofessional" to wonder how much you'll be paid: on the contrary, that is more or less the definition of a professional attitude.

I've just qualified as a DM myself: I certainly don't expect to make a living out of it, but like TMHeimer, there's no way I'm doing it for free either. I guess it's a question you'll have to negotiate with dive centres as you approach them - at least that's my plan.

It's occurred to me that payment in kind might be a mutually agreeable set up for some dive shops. After all, any money I do make DM'ing will more than likely get spend on kit or more courses anyway: any opinions on that as an idea?

Kerpowski, Of course I agree. It doesn't matter what you spend your pay on, as long as there is pay. I figure my first of 3-4 yearly OW courses I assist on the pay covers PADI membership and insurance.

I am doing my internshp right now and it has been rewarding working with people. Pure and simple. I will get discounts from the dive shop which comes in handy with all the equipment being a technical diver, but the real thing is just doing something other than sitting behind a desk that helps others, and puts me in contact with people. I am a total introvert, but in a dive situation, I love to talk and share experiences. You don't exactly get that in a cube farm.

I believe there is a thread somewhere in "Going Pro" on pay, etc. Discounts are OK and we get them and some owners even cover insurance (ours doesn't). I get the same social experiences as a professional clarinetist, and moreso when I taught school Band. These too are things I love(d)--with pay.

I am doing my internshp right now and it has been rewarding working with people. Pure and simple. I will get discounts from the dive shop which comes in handy with all the equipment being a technical diver, but the real thing is just doing something other than sitting behind a desk that helps others, and puts me in contact with people. I am a total introvert, but in a dive situation, I love to talk and share experiences. You don't exactly get that in a cube farm.

But you do get that on dive trips. When I asked one of my LDS how much I would make if i pursued DM (I asked a few just to get a larger response group) after I completed my rescue course his response was "a lunch here and there." When we got deeper into the conversation he explained the fun I would have schlepping gear for free, setting up gear, and paying my own travel costs to act as an unpaid assistant. We both laughed together as I said no thanks. He said to improve my skills I would be much better off taking other specialty courses as DM wasn't for skill development. He knows me well and wasn't going to even bother with a sales pitch on helping others or meeting new people. Every dive shop I know has some type of social club component that meets at a bar or restaurant often. I think this is OK but it is sort of clever in a way that you become married to the shop through your relationships. I have no interest at all becoming an instructor, so the pain of the DM route is a no win for me.

gkrane, Interesting reading your post now. Just DMd OW checkout dives yesterday. Had a good time, worked hard, got paid. BBQd the burgers and hot dogs for the class myself (MORE work...???) and had as many as I wanted as my lunch (here & there as you say). That's good enough for me.

gkrane, Interesting reading your post now. Just DMd OW checkout dives yesterday. Had a good time, worked hard, got paid. BBQd the burgers and hot dogs for the class myself (MORE work...???) and had as many as I wanted as my lunch (here & there as you say). That's good enough for me.

The key words being got paid. I don't knock anyone at all for doing the DM thing. Hell, I sure appreciate them on vacation. Hence, the good tips. But as far as doing grunt work unpaid for most of the time until if and when I choose to do OWI, no thanks. What got me curious was the possibility of doing this as a retirement gig someday. Definitely not what I was expecting. As far as discounts on gear being a benefit, yes, albeit a very slim one. But seems well offset by lugging gear and driving all over town on your dime.

DM is not a merit badge, it is for those who love imparting their knowledge and skills on student divers, assisting the instructors by providing additional eyes and ears on the class, helping out on dives from shlepping gear to leading/supervising guided tours.

Some of us see it as superior to obtaining instructor status, as we basically get to do the same thing without the headache of the paperwork associated with being an instructor.

My suggestion, continue to dive as often and as diversely as possible. When you have a burning desire to spread your skills to others, you'll be ready to become a DM.

P.S. It took me 30+ years to get to that stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom