Scuba fest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone been to this event? or know anything about it?

What goes on at it? Is it basically a "dive show" or is more involved? and are there English speaking events?

The website is in Spanish with no English alternative site, although it looks like there is supposed to be a link for such a site at the top of the homepage.

thanks!!

Its pretty much a week long event with a little trade show (small), movie?, seminars? guest speakers ( Jean Michel Cousteau is here every year) Dr Sylvia Earle is also attending this year. There is a social time to mingle with the guest speakers and others at a select hotel. The diving part of scuba fest is where there is a chosen dive route that one will complete. Also 2 statues have been placed in Villablanca area ( shallows) the past years ( Jaques Cousteau and Ramon Bravo, not sure if they are doing another this year?) They have had free diving events in the past as well. There is only a dozen or so dive shops that participate in the event.

There is also a "Taste of Cozumel" event - or at least there was the last two years - where various Cozumel restaurants have selections available for tasting. I've tried to make that the last two Decembers, but both times I missed it.

I think its a good event. They just seem to not be able to market it better? No english site with the spanish version? I don't see much advertising around Cozumel for it.

I've been in contact with the folks running it. They are working on the English version of the website and should be up soon.

CozumelRadio.net has been added as a 'media partner' for the event and we will be working with them to help spread word about the event.

(Hopefully) attached is the current program and promo image. This year they're trying something new and are running a new set of dives prior to the start of the event. Looks very interesting!The event itself is scheduled once again for a Tuesday night kick-off, dives on Wednesday - Saturday. Throughout the week there are presentations at the convention center, and each night has some type of special event, normally showcasing an on island hotel/restaurant. In addition to Jean-Michel, this year Sylvia Earle will be joining. The presentations are mixed in terms of spanish and english. Depends on the speaker. On Sunday they show some movies at the Cinepolis. Last year we were treated to three in a row.Last year some of the events were simply amazing. If you can swing it, I say go. Give it a try.I think I caught most of the questions so far, but feel free to ask if there's something specific you'd like to know.Eileen

Attachments

• GENERAL PROGRAM CSF15.pdf
    105.5 KB · Views: 106
  • ING.JPG
    ING.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 36
A friend of mine did the follow Cousteau or whatever and dove next to the current Cousteau who was in and out quickly. Sounded underwhelming to me.

A friend of mine did the follow Cousteau or whatever and dove next to the current Cousteau who was in and out quickly. Sounded underwhelming to me.

Yeah. I wouldn't suggest going if that is your primary draw.

Not sure what you mean by "was in and out quickly". If you mean the water, then maybe. I wasn't in the group diving with him. However, if you mean for the event, that's not entirely true. While he didn't make an appearance at the movies on Sunday, he was at the majority of the evening events.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom