First timer Caribbean, where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"As european especially the Lesser Antilles were never on my list. But the next big trip should include some islands in the Lesser Antilles." I have to ask - what's the connection between being European and choosing the Lesser Antilles? Airfare costs or travel time?

all good Caribbean dive destinations, but none of which are part of the Lesser Antilles. (Or maybe Bonaire is by some definitions, but pretty much fails the OPs other criteria.)

i was being broad-minded. he did title the thread "First Timer Caribbean." also he said he'd like to "include some islands in the Lesser Antilles," not that he's exclusively limiting himself to them.

:wink:

Last edited:
yeah, I read the "favorite so far" bit and thought they had been to those places mentioned, losing the "first timer" part in the title. Though I'm still thinking the mainstream spots aren't the best if really looking for less developed & good hiking sorts of places.

Rafting is tough - if river rafting is the idea, that's somewhat inconsistent with clear water as rivers often muck things up. A lot of the islands don't even have much if anything for rivers.

Spectacular topography and colors - in comparison to what? Lots of Caribbean diving won't measure up to other places in the world.

Maybe look into Belize if that makes sense travel and budget-wise. Go diving out at the atolls via liveaboard or a resort out there. There's both resorts and camping type expeditions. Then spend time inland to get a hiking and scenery fix (though maybe not in summer.) There's at least modest whitewater kayaking and tubing and there may be rafting someplace. Lots of adventure to be had inland.

Last edited:
I am going to throw out a suggestion that is not in the Lesser Antilles but it does hit some of your requirements and it provides an opportunity to enjoy multiple Caribbean experiences.

Cayman Brac is a sister island to Grand Cayman. It is small and not very developed. The word Brac means "Bluff" in Scottish and hiking, rock climbing, and caving are popular activities. There are also nature preserves and a bird sancturary. I don't think there is any rafting but you can do ocean kayaking and the diving is truly excellent. There are only 2 dive operations on CB (Reef Divers and Brac Scuba Shack) but they both have very good reputations.

There aren't many places to stay and there aren't many restaurants or grocery stores. We like to stay at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort which is a small, diver-dedicated, all-inclusive resort and Reef Divers in the onsite dive op.

One of the nice things about visiting any of the Cayman islands is that it gives you an easy opportunity to enjoy a multi-island vacation because each Cayman island has unique attractions. You would have to fly into Grand Cayman anyway and it is a very developed tourist destination, but it offers great dining and a world class beach. And there are undeveloped, beautiful areas on GC to explore. There is a hiking trail (the Mastic Trail) which is lovely but consists of about 2 miles of meandering through the local flora, and I don't think that is what you are looking for. There are also botanical gardens and a Blue Iguana preserve; as well as nice diving options, and beautiful, remote snorkeling sites.

Little Cayman is the smallest sister island to GC and it offers the very best diving in the Caribbean IMO. Gorgeous, dramatic walls and abundant sea life and beautiful colors. It is a very tiny island but it is more developed and upscale than Cayman Brac because of the spectacular diving - yet it is still a small, quaint place. It is home to a Booby sanctuary and a marine research station. You can also kayak to Owens Island which is a small deserted island. We like to stay at the all-inclusive Little Cayman Beach Resort with Reef Divers as the onsite dive operation, but there are several options for accommodations and dive operators on LC. You can do a lot of walking on LC but no hiking or climbing.

The Caymans are expensive, but you can control the costs with planning; like renting an apartment or condo on GC and cooking some meals, or staying at a reasonably-priced, all-inclusive dive resort on CB or LC.

For your interest, below is an article I posted comparing the 3 Cayman islands, in case you would like more information. It is very easy and inexpensive to travel between the 3 Cayman islands. Good luck!

The differences (for a diver) between the 3 Cayman islands - Cayman Islands Forum - TripAdvisor

Last edited:
Not so much islands, although both nations have islands with great diving, but both Belize and Honduras have probably everything on the list from undeveloped to hiking, diving and rafting.

just offering alternatives on the Caribbean not yet mentioned.

Grenada is a favorite spot of mine. A favorite dive is Moliniere point, and you get to dive your safety stop in the sculpture garden! And even though I've never dived the back side of Sandy Island off Carriacou, the snorkeling on the near side is incredible!

As european especially the Lesser Antilles were never on my list. But the next big trip should include some islands in the Lesser Antilles. But I dont know much about them.

Which islands are less developed? I prefer spectacular underwater topography and colors. I am not into wrecks. Water should be clear and I am not a supporter of shark feeding. The islands should offer great hiking and if possible rafting.

Saba in combination with St. Maarten or St. Kitts + Sint Eustacius is my favorite so far but the more I read about more southern islands the more I am confused again.

What are your experiences and what would you recommend?

I'm surprised no one has suggested Curacao. You can drink the water from the tap, very Dutch (with a Caribbean flair), nice shore diving, beautiful white sugar-sand beaches, no surf on entry. Really interesting coral formations. Nice warm water diving

Though I haven't gotten to Dominica yet, that and St. Vincent were going to be my suggestions. I've been to St Vincent a number of times and it seems Dominica is similar in some ways.

I was also hoping to go to Dominica soon, possibly this fall or winter. Agilis - can you suggest any good resources for keeping tabs on things there? Last I read anything it sounded like Castle Comfort and Fort Young were open but the airport wasn't open yet. And that the new Buddy Dive op had a boat run aground (don't know how many they have or how bad that was.)
I depend on emails from a couple of friends who live there. The Dominica News Service can be interesting, though obviously upbeat. It's mostly written for Dominicans, and its repeated warnings regarding post-storm disease problems are illuminating. Reader's comments, appended to various articles, are much more revealing. People in the tourist business there are silent.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Curacao.

Shhhhh...

How long will this trip be, how many days to be spent diving, is shore diving an interest or priority, and will non-divers be along to entertain? Some of us for whom the Caribbean is local tend to think in terms of 7 day trips, but diving, hiking and rafting sounds a bit much to cram in. Plus I see both your preliminary options involve 2 island combo.s, so there's the travel time and hassle angle.

GypsyJim mentioned Belize. Some people who want good diving and a strong topside agenda dive Belize from a dive resort, but spend part of the vacation on the mainland climbing Mayan ruins, walking in rainforest, cave tubing I think, etc... So, are you sure your dream destination is an island?

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom