Finished my pool portion but not going to do OW can I still get any kind of cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to my doctor for the medical waiver to be signed off, he seemed not to know a lot about diving and simply stated that if I can't equilize the ear drum will just pop and it will then equilize. I was actually very surprised that he signed off on it. I don't know if I should try to get my padi folder back from them to keep if she ever wanted to continue to get certified.

To be honest my girlfriend had a horrible time, we had some really slow ppl in our group and we had to wear 7 mil suits and hoods in 105 degree weather with the pool being 86 degrees, we were there for 6 hours for both days and the instructors would not let us get out to use the rest rooms or get water, so it was not a pleasant experience and this was from a 5 star padi shop. About 40 percent of the class had already dropped out.

That's a really weird way to run a class. That's waaaaaaay over-dressed for the conditions. In my class, the temps were in the 80's, and everybody was in 3mm suits with no hoods. They told us to just get up and go to the restroom if needed, and don't distract the instructor or other students by asking.

Yea, I realized that Scuba Diving must not be for me, but there are plenty of other hobbies that I enjoy so that's ok. I just didn't know if I should get my padi folder back for my girlfriend so of sometime later on she could eventually finish it. But it kinda left a bad taste in her mouth. I just couldn't believe how easy it is to pass the classroom. Portion, they just read off the answers in the quiz reviews and for the final they said if you have any questions they would just tell you the answers. It was kind of dissopointing to see how people who didn't study or understand the concepts could pass. It was actually kind of scarry how all they care about is passing people. Do the instructors get penalized if they fail people?

Yea, I realized that Scuba Diving must not be for me, but there are plenty of other hobbies that I enjoy so that's ok. I just didn't know if I should get my padi folder back for my girlfriend so of sometime later on she could eventually finish it. But it kinda left a bad taste in her mouth. I just couldn't believe how easy it is to pass the classroom. Portion, they just read off the answers in the quiz reviews and for the final they said if you have any questions they would just tell you the answers. It was kind of dissopointing to see how people who didn't study or understand the concepts could pass. It was actually kind of scarry how all they care about is passing people. Do the instructors get penalized if they fail people?
I'm sorry to say, if your report is accurate, you had a very poor class that was not run according to either standards or good sense.
I would encourage you to send a report to PADI to help try and stop kind of this nonsense, otherwise additional unsuspecting students will receive inadequate training and endanger themselves.

I would also encourage you to tell us which shop that was, to help steer people way from it.

As to your girlfriend and her folder, my suggestion is to forget it. If she wants to take the class in the future with a decent shop and instructor, it would be best if she started over again anyway. Who knows what information/training she has not received? The folder/documentation is only valid for 12 months in any case.

To be honest my girlfriend had a horrible time, we had some really slow ppl in our group and we had to wear 7 mil suits and hoods in 105 degree weather with the pool being 86 degrees, we were there for 6 hours for both days and the instructors would not let us get out to use the rest rooms or get water, so it was not a pleasant experience and this was from a 5 star padi shop. About 40 percent of the class had already dropped out.

I think you should be thankful to be alive after spending 6 hours in a 7mil suit with hood in 105 degree weather without water .:rolleyes:

No kidding, about the being in the heat, I found myself drinking pool water to quench my thirst. I just got the feeling that all they want to do is pass us so I can buy more things from their store. My girlfriend and I actually studied very hard to understand the theory of the classroom portion and when we arrived it was a pretty big joke, they just read the answers to the knowledge reviews and asked if anyone had any questions. Of course nobody said anything, then once we moved onto the quiz he went over each answer before we took the test. At one point he ever wrote one of the answers up on the board for us, where we had to match which kind of assent we should do in emergency situations. Even at the end of the last pool dive we had people who could not control their boyency and they looked like a flipped over turtle falling to the bottom of the pool until they hit the ground and everyone still passed.

The only thing I was thinking about was how scary it would be to have one of these people as a buddy on a real dive. I think I would feel more confident by myself with a pony bottle than with some of the people in the class. I still need to email my instructor and tell him im dropping out, he had no clue and thinks that I will not have a problem on the OW dives even if I can only go to 10 feet. Dont get me wrong the instructors were very nice and friendly.

I am glad I joined this board because I have read a lot of good info here and feel a lot better informed going through the posts than being in the class. I thought it was odd how quickly the instructors just brushed over air embolisms and stated to come up slowly not to scare the majority of the class. At least reading on here it looks like it is no joke and it is a very real concern to be aware of. That just may be me over reacting but that's one thing I did not want to take lightly.

I am glad I joined this board because I have read a lot of good info here and feel a lot better informed going through the posts than being in the class. I thought it was odd how quickly the instructors just brushed over air embolisms and stated to come up slowly not to scare the majority of the class. At least reading on here it looks like it is no joke and it is a very real concern to be aware of. That just may be me over reacting but that's one thing I did not want to take lightly.

Yes, there's a real reason that they say to never hold your breath while diving. If you ascend too fast but still keep breathing (or at least exhaling) and get bent, you'll generally still survive. Not many people survive an AGE from ascending without exhaling.

Sounds like your LDS is a "cattle herd" type establishment when it comes to teaching. No wonder a lot of people give up diving when they realise after their course that diving is not actually as easy as their instructors made it out to be - pass with negligible skill and it makes for a steep learning curve afterwards or accidents happening.

Hopefully you get the issues with your ears sorted out with an ENT that is knowledgeable about diving and go on to enjoy diving.

Do the instructors get penalized if they fail people?
At the place you went to? I wouldn't be surprised if they do. If somebody fails and tells their friend then the friend might go elsewhere (a very fortunate thing from the sounds of it), and the boss will be upset about losing the cost of the class and the thousands they expect all the graduates to spend on gear.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who decided to take an OW class at the same time that I was auditing as a refresher. The story had a bitter sweet conclusion. My friend managed to overcome his fear of water (he got pushed into the pool and almost drowned as a kid) and quite enjoyed the pool sessions. Unfortunately, his ears bothered him in the pool so he chose not to follow up with the open water dives to complete his certification. At least the dive shop broke up the cost and he wasn't out the money for those dives, but he never did get a C-card out of the experience.

One thing I was reminded of was just how important gear sales are to the dive shop. I overheard countless students being sold gear before ever certifying. I realize it's a business and no one is forcing them to buy gear, but I could never be a salesperson and convince someone to make a premature gear purchase.

I hope your ears get better! So sorry to hear you had a lousy experience.

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I recently signed up for the PADI open water course. We already finished and passed the classroom portion and the pool portion of the course. Unfortunately, since I have had two ruptured ear drums and two sinus surgeries, I cannot equalize very well and when I do it is extremely painful ascending, it will take a couple minutes for me to come up from 7 feet. I was the only one in the group who was trying to stay down instead of going up to the surface. So I realize that as much as I would like to I physically cannot dive. (I did go to my doctor and he warned me not to dive if it started hurting). This next week we have the OW dives, I'm pretty sure I cant get my money back for anything but can I still get some kind of Padi card? I hate quitting but its the principle of the thing.

what good a diving cert can do you if this is the case?

Back
Top Bottom