Trip Report: Texas Clipper, 9/20/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lefty Writer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This past Sunday 9 of us BADdies got to dive the Texas Clipper with American Diving. We set this up as a group dive, so naturally there was lots of e-mail traffic back and forth, nailing down all the details. Rob was very gracious with his time, and answered all of our messages in a fast and friendly manner.

We arrived at "oh-dark-thirty" (actually, 6 a.m., but close enough) and were checked in efficiently. Our pre-departure briefing was very professional and included not only an orientation of the boat and the wreck, but also a good history of the Texas Clipper. I found this briefing very useful, as the diagram Tim used was detailed enough that I was able to navigate the wreck pretty easily once we got down there. This was my first time diving this wreck, so I was surprised just how big it was. The only other large wreck I've done is the Mighty O.

Shortly after our pre-departure briefing we were underway. The Diver I is a very comfortable boat, and the air conditioning made the ride seem more like a van ride than a boat ride. Seas were only 1 - 3 feet, so the hour and ten minute ride out was comfortable. The crew served us breakfast tacos, which was a nice touch. It almost made up for the lack of an El Pato's on the island (Totally out of American Diving's control, I know.) Yes, this quick side note is important, at least to me. If any of y'all are traveling by car to South Padre Island, try to allow time to head into Harlingen or Brownsville to try them out.

Anyway.....

Once we got on site, the crew quickly had everything ready to go and we were ready to get wet and blow some bubbles!

American Diving reminds me of a lot of the Caribbean dive operators, in that they pretty much do everything for you. On the dock, you assemble your scuba unit and the crew takes it from there. They will assign you a number, and will call you to the dive deck by that number.

You exit the rear of the passenger cabin to the dive platform, where you sit down and put on your fins and mask. The platform is just a few inches off the water, so your feet are in the water as you sit there. They bring your scuba unit to you and place it behind you, and help you with any straps. Once ready, you just do a front roll and you are in. Swim to the trail line and wait for your dive buddy.

This line is attached to a down line, so once you and your buddy are ready, off you go.

The viz was less than optimal, around 15 - 20 feet, but both dives were still fun. We saw lots of barracuda, some Angel fish and a few other species. Water temp stayed around 86 degrees, according to my computer, all the way to depth. There was minimal current, so we had lots of play time without having to fight a current. Even diving nitrox 32, most of us ran up to our NDL before our gas limit.

Since we did this dive during SPI Dive Week, we had burgers, brats and beer waiting for us on the dock when we returned. Also, during dive week, ALL of the crew tips go directly to the Air Warrior and Wounded Warrior funds. Just check out their website for more details on this.

Overall, we had a FANTASTIC time, and are already making plans to go back again next year.

:D

WOW, you guys lucked out. I was there Saturday and the vis was maybe 5 feet with current and 3 to 4 foot waves.

WOW, you guys lucked out. I was there Saturday and the vis was maybe 5 feet with current and 3 to 4 foot waves.

Rob mentioned that Saturday's viz and sea state were worse than what we had. Our second dive actually had better viz than the first dive. Sorry y'alls dives weren't that good.

Glad that you had a good dive on the Clipper. I was there in July - not a good experience. Not American Diving's fault. Where do I start? On my first dive my buddy used half of his gas getting to the wreck. That made for a short dive. He and our third buddy only made one dive. In between dives I joined nine of my fellow divers at the rail and tossed our cookies to King Neptune. Second dive for me. I buddied up with another fellow whose buddy only dove once. We had a decent time, but on coming up.... the swell was high and my chest slammed into the dive step trying to get on board. Fractured rib. I'd like to do the dive again, but in glass smooth water. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom